What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterfly - American and German

SG500

Premium Member
Here's a few shots of a German one and an American one just to compare.

Dave.

Attachments

• Butterfly - American and German 001.jpg
    Butterfly - American and German 001.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Butterfly - American and German 002.jpg
    Butterfly - American and German 002.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Butterfly - American and German 003.jpg
    Butterfly - American and German 003.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Butterfly - American and German 004.jpg
    Butterfly - American and German 004.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Butterfly - American and German 005.jpg
    Butterfly - American and German 005.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 85
More photos.
Dave.

Attachments

• Butterfly - American and German 006.jpg
    Butterfly - American and German 006.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Butterfly - American and German 007.jpg
    Butterfly - American and German 007.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 56
Thanks guys, its easy to see where the Americans got the idea from!!
Dave.

Hi Dave
Very interesting to see the difference , between the German and American bombs
Steve

Rick, The M83 was America's first HE cluster bomb munition, We needed a good idea fast during the war so why not copy a proven munition. The german Butterfly was a easy munition to reverse engineer

the german's were always into presion, The US just cast the munition because they knew they would never see them again.

the german's were always into presion, The US just cast the munition because they knew they would never see them again.

Its very true, why make it look nice when its just going to go bang. Its not like it needed to be aerodynamic.

Dave.

Looking at the butterfly pressed steel parts, they look almost identical, just wondered if if the Americans used captured machinery and tooling to make them.

Hi Chris,good theory too mate. What a cracking night of threads we've had!
Only Monday as well!

best

waff

2koolstuff

To Dave, This is no where near my alley of collecting, but I must say some of the nicest stuff i've seen that I don't collect. Might not have to twist my arm too damn hard to get interested! The eye appeal of these beautys must have more than a bit of the prices these jewells fetch. I had no idea that the U.S. made these until I joined BOCN. Keep 'em coming.... Smashing display...Always..Dano

Last edited:
HPIM4652.jpgHPIM4653.jpgHPIM4654.jpgHPIM4655.jpgHPIM4656.jpg

Here are some photos of a US M83 in my collection, together with a incomplete set of wings. The complete one is a dummy and has only a very crude immitation of a fuze, presumably the M129 as it has a screw representing the setting plug. The incomplete one has remnants of original paint - olive green with yellow stripe across the wings (I removed a rather nasty coat of paint which covered them when I got them) You will notice that the bar to which the wings are attatched is of stamped steel on both examples, also on the complete one that the end arming discs are totally different. Not sure if this indicates later manufacture?
Please note that all items are empty and inert. Butterfly bombs are not to be messed with.
Hope you enjoy looking at the photos, will get better as this is the first time I've done this, its all new to me!!
Butterfly

Dave,

Have you a close up image of the join line and possibly an oblique internal view. For a casting that size it looks far too big. Image 4, it looks almost like a weld line.

Regards

Tim

Yes, it is very easy to see in Dave's photo, the U.S. body is made from two halves welded together, whereas the German body is a one-piece design. It makes the parts much easier to manufacture, but requires the welding operation. The German body requires a sand plug (that makes up the cavity) which has to be in the mold when the molten steel is poured, and requires all the labor to make the plugs and put the plugs into the mold and then remove the sand once the body has cooled. The U.S. method could actually be faster to manufacture.

Digging through my photos from home, I've got at least one late war piece which I seem to recall is an SD-2 which was very roughly welded from two halves. Maybe late in the war they were putting quantity over quality? Also, I've seen and photographed US M83s dated as early as 1943, which would make it unlikely that the US used captured materials or equipment for their manufacture.

The first two photos are filed as from my SD-2s, the second two photos are of one of my M83s. I'm not at home right now and cannot confirm, but I'm pretty sure the second photo is an SD-2.

I'm missing a cable for the first SD-2 shown, so if anyone has one for sale or trade.....

Attachments

• DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0208.jpg
    DSC_0208.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 37
  • M83 1.jpg
    M83 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 37
  • M83 2.jpg
    M83 2.jpg