What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd uses for ordnance items

Falcon

Today I got that 105mm Abbot case that had had the primer hole blocked up with a drawer handle and had soil in the bottom, so I guess it had been used as a plant pot. What other odd uses for shell cases (or any other ordnance item) have you seen?

My G/F found a 105mm shell case that had a handle through the primer hole and had been used as a coal scuttle!
It was also engraved with `Falkland Islands` 1982 on it.

A quick clean up and off it went for 15 on ebay last year!:xd:

best

waff

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
a couple of 105mm (filled) as weights for a weaving loom. Somewhere in Vietnam.

Attachments

• 0208.jpg
    0208.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 146
Ha Ha what is it work hard or the shells go off ,its like the old bloke in the papers who used a 2 pdr as a pile pusher and got it stuck .

Hopkiss 37mm, not that it was me or got anywhere near it! Only from the picture, not the x-ray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the guys on my team picked up a 3" HE mortar that was used as a counterweight for a garage door. Yes it was live. I have also seen mortar plugs representing fuzes (rep M524 fz) stuck on top of the fence posts in someones garden near the proof range I used to work at.

Leo

Here is a little treat i picked up at beltring.

My new BBQ stand!!:hahaha:

It does say `Inert` on!

Its off a Mk82 500lb bomb,dated 1970.

only 2 years younger than ol` waffy!

Attachments

• S7003087.jpg
    S7003087.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 86
  • S7003088_renamed_24552.jpg
    S7003088_renamed_24552.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Strange uses

The Navy wanted to use the nose cone of the Hermann 1,000Kg dredged up of Guernsey several years ago as their BBQ , but luckly the states of guernsey interviened and its now on show in the Occupational Museum

30mm Apache ammo

After the end of battle readiness tests one of the AAC apache squadrons kept back approx 100 empty cases from the 30mm cannon, had them chromed and now use them in the various messes as shot glasses.

I think i know for the whereabouts of one of them german nosecones. On a beach near me. will get a pic and you guys can decide,hopefully this weekend.Its used as a home for the local sealife!:bigsmile:

Did anyone see that round that was for sale at Beltring?
It was a minty german 10.5cm proj fitted with a german fuze that had been converted to a lamp and stuffed into a british case..

Asking price 550 Euros!:eek:oh:

best

waff

Here is a little treat i picked up at beltring.

My new BBQ stand!!:hahaha:

It does say `Inert` on!

Its off a Mk82 500lb bomb,dated 1970.

only 2 years younger than ol` waffy!

Me thinks this if a 114 ballistic tail unit from a 1000lb british bomb and not a Mk 82... Unfortunatly as a sad puppy I have and still work on these items...

From Mk-81's you can make a nice garden fence. Best is to take live ones. Cambodia 1992.

Attachments

• Naamloos-2.jpg
    Naamloos-2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 66
some more uses
images from modern mechanics found with google

Attachments

• img_m456.jpg
    img_m456.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 59
  • lrg_bomb_stove.jpg
    lrg_bomb_stove.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 62
I do like that one spott!.

jeetee,Im sure that either on the `chute release mechanism or the tail section it says mk82?,i will check again shortly.

cheers

waff

Last edited:
Up until a couple of years ago I owned a complete 3" Stokes gun and most of the accessories. I had a major rethink in my collecting and sold it complete to the National Army Museum (where it is hopefully on display, I haven't looked)

The gun was a dig up from the Somme but was in remarkable condition and I was able to use 95% of the parts including things like castle nuts again. The only real work was on the bipod. I had a new elevating thread manufactured for it. For the traversing thread I used part of the original elevating thread that was buried in the bipod housing and amazingly was still in grease.
The original barrel was a bit pitted but acceptable.

Anyway back to topic, I was subsequently able to find an original baseplate in really good condition as this was missing when the gun was found. These were issued two to each gun (in case of loss and to pre-prepare new positions etc) and turn up now and again.
The really good bit is that after a tip off I acquired a new barrel (made by Rover Car Co in 1917!) from the St Pol area of France (I believe there was a Trench Mortar training school there)

The barrel was being used by a silk screen printing comany to hold down bits of material....... I know don't ask!! It had a few minor dings from years of abuse but still had traces of paint and blueing left on it.

Regards

Gunnerop

Before anybody asks I only have one 3" TM, a ring charge and a Stokes clinometer left!! And as it was pre my digital camera days I will have to hunt for pics of it, but I do have some somewhere.