Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SG500 View Post
    I got these today and they have me baffled. Never seen anything like it before.
    They are a set of relic butterfly bomb wings. If it wasn't for the fact that they are so obviously old and relic I'd think someone had welded a couple of large bottle tops onto the end of wing support of a standard butterfly bomb.

The "wings" are 40mm in diameter and the overall length is 110mm,

I've added a few photos including one next to a standard set of sycamore wings (for scale).

The are fixed rigidly to the support and don't move (weren't designed to by the look of it).

Has anyone any better examples they can show or information about them?
    Are they for a butterfly bomb or something completely different.

Dave.
    HI Dave
    I have managed to locate a picture of a set of wings that are very close to yours.
    Once i can macro the image on its own i will post it and then make the comparisons.
    WATCH THIS SPACE

Best phil

Images
    Thanks
    I got these today and they have me baffled. Never seen anything like it before.
    They are a set of relic butterfly bomb wings. If it wasn't for the fact that they are so obviously old and relic I'd think someone had welded a couple of large bottle tops onto the end of wing support of a standard butterfly bomb.

The "wings" are 40mm in diameter and the overall length is 110mm,

I've added a few photos including one next to a standard set of sycamore wings (for scale).

The are fixed rigidly to the support and don't move (weren't designed to by the look of it).

Has anyone any better examples they can show or information about them?
    Are they for a butterfly bomb or something completely different.

Dave.
    Had a little Dig around today and came up with these?
    Although they are different there is still no real similarity to yours Dave.
    Any thoughts

Best phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 691 Posts
    Thanks Phil, they look like a set of American wings that are fully open but would fold, the fuze certainly looks American - do you have access to them or is it a photo you have? The wings on mine are 40mm so very small. Am in the process of restoring them so photos to follow soon next to the other ones of mine.
    Ta,
    Dave

Fuzeman
    Hi Phil
    Will be visiting chatham on wednesday will look through their records for anything on these small drouges

Images
    Thanks
    Thanks Phil, they look like a set of American wings that are fully open but would fold, the fuze certainly looks American - do you have access to them or is it a photo you have? The wings on mine are 40mm so very small. Am in the process of restoring them so photos to follow soon next to the other ones of mine.
    Ta,
    Dave
    Hi Dave

This is a photo from a book that i had about SD2s,which i had hoped would
    have turned up a bit more.

Will keep looking

Best phil

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzeman View Post
    Hi Phil
    Will be visiting chatham on wednesday will look through their records for anything on these small drouges
    Nice One Steve,there must be some archive mention or picture somewhere.

Best phil

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satan18 View Post
    Hi Dave

This is a photo from a book that i had about SD2s,which i had hoped would
    have turned up a bit more.

Will keep looking

Best phil
    Phil is that a published book? If so what is the title, I'd be interested in getting a copy.
    If you look at the paddles on the photo the way they fit to the main support is just like some of the American ones, also if you look at the way the metal is bent on the end paddles it is very similar to the one "butterfly" posted a while ago. Perhaps the Germans produced a version like this? The plot thickens.
    Dave.

Thanks
    Phil is that a published book? If so what is the title, I'd be interested in getting a copy.
    If you look at the paddles on the photo the way they fit to the main support is just like some of the American ones, also if you look at the way the metal is bent on the end paddles it is very similar to the one "butterfly" posted a while ago. Perhaps the Germans produced a version like this? The plot thickens.
    Dave.

Dave,
    Will sort you out a copy tomorrow,will drop it off with Mick on Monday with the fuzes i owe you.

Waff

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Waff, appreciated.
    Dave.

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    re; photo posted by phil
    I can confirm that these wings are the same as the American M83 that I have. I believe it to be a later example of the American version as the earlier ones are almost a direct copy of the German SD2. I don't have any hard based evidence to pove this, but from what I have observed would assume this to be the case. Does anyone have any information relating to the M83 wing arrangements that would confirm my thoughts?
    Also a book was mentioned about SD2's, would also be intrested to see a copy of this book, could someone put the author and title in the thread so anyone else intrested could obtain a copy too-thanks
    regards
    Kev

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast