Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SG500 View Post
    Phil is that a published book? If so what is the title, I'd be interested in getting a copy.
    If you look at the paddles on the photo the way they fit to the main support is just like some of the American ones, also if you look at the way the metal is bent on the end paddles it is very similar to the one "butterfly" posted a while ago. Perhaps the Germans produced a version like this? The plot thickens.
    Dave.
    Hi Dave
    This was from book that had a couple of pages on SD2s or bombs in general.
    I only have the photo copies from the pages unfortunately,and not much else

Best phil

Fuzeman
    Hi All
    have just read through a load of DUBD reports on bombs etc and all that have been listed on the SD2 were what was already known, ie 2 types of drouges the complete 4 piece type and the 2 piece,which were found in North Africa (see a previous report i mentioned this report)if they were experimental then its possible that nothing was ever written about them.
    will keep looking

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 691 Posts
    I'm sure some of you guys wouldn't agree with what I've done now..........I've restored it (more like preserved it) .....it was that or leave it to fall to bits!!
    The next part to this story is I dipped the rusty wings in......yes you've guessed it......hammerite rust remover. The completish wing ended up looking like a tea strainer, the other one, well, I won't go there. Anyway the only way forwards then was some Araldite filler and paint.
    The end result is something that's not going to fall to bits and is as good as anyone seems to have at the moment at least.
    I've taken a few photos next to a single end paddle from a normal sized set of wings just to avoid any confusion.
    Look forward to seeing if anyone digs out any information about these ones.
    Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuzeman
    Hi checked through the Sd2 paperwork yesterday at Chatham and nothing is written down about them . if they as i suspect were prototype wings then its very likely that there wouldnt be anything written about them until the tests were complete or were going to be produced.
    steve

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 792 Posts
    Some original documentation regarding the variations in "Butterfly Bomb" wings. I also have some documentation on the 41A fuze if anyone is interested.

Regards

TimG.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Tim, great, its always nice to have some of the original information.
    Dave.

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    Some original documentation regarding the variations in "Butterfly Bomb" wings. I also have some documentation on the 41A fuze if anyone is interested.

Regards

TimG.
    Tim,
    I agree with Dave original information is great, thanks for posting.
    Would be very interested to see the info on the 41 fuze and any other information you have on butterfly bombs.
    Regards
    Kev

Thanks
    Been watching this thread with a great deal of interest...
    My thoughts..
    1, the drouges/wings are too small to slow the bomb down or to arm the Fuze.
    2, could these be for a completely different Submunition altogether that weighs a great deal less than an SD2 ?

Sorry to anyone if im stating the obvious.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismosonic View Post
    My thoughts..
    2, could these be for a completely different Submunition altogether that weighs a great deal less than an SD2 ?

Sorry to anyone if im stating the obvious.
    Hi Nismosonic, yes my thoughts exactly.
    It got me thinking was there ever a mini butterfly bomb as there was a minimills grenade....could be a daft idea but then can't think of a better one.
    Dave.

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    My thoughts..

Sorry to anyone if im stating the obvious. [posted by Nismosonic]

Thats a very interesting theory you have there.
    Just a thought, the very small cut-down wings were experimental and are regarded as not being efficient in arming the bomb. Could these be another unsuccessful experiment?
    It would be interesting if Dave could take a photo of the 'unidentified wings' next to a set of the very small cut down wings to show a size comparison. If the Germans were already experimenting with such small wings on the SD2, then there is nothing to suggest that these weren't also for the 2Kg bomb? - possibly running alongside the same experiment to drop on aircraft, maybe then slowing down the bomb to prevent ground penetration was not such an issue, more just a case of arming the fuze?
    Its all guesswork on my part, just a thought.

Any chance of a comparison photo Dave?

regards
    Kev

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast