Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 694 Posts

Very small butterfly bomb wings.

I got these today and they have me baffled. Never seen anything like it before.
    They are a set of relic butterfly bomb wings. If it wasn't for the fact that they are so obviously old and relic I'd think someone had welded a couple of large bottle tops onto the end of wing support of a standard butterfly bomb.

The "wings" are 40mm in diameter and the overall length is 110mm,

I've added a few photos including one next to a standard set of sycamore wings (for scale).

The are fixed rigidly to the support and don't move (weren't designed to by the look of it).

Has anyone any better examples they can show or information about them?
    Are they for a butterfly bomb or something completely different.

Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SG500 For This Useful Post:

skull181 (24th September 2012)

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SG500 View Post
    I got these today and they have me baffled. Never seen anything like it before.
    They are a set of relic butterfly bomb wings. If it wasn't for the fact that they are so obviously old and relic I'd think someone had welded a couple of large bottle tops onto the end of wing support of a standard butterfly bomb.

The "wings" are 40mm in diameter and the overall length is 110mm,

I've added a few photos including one next to a standard set of sycamore wings (for scale).

The are fixed rigidly to the support and don't move (weren't designed to by the look of it).

Has anyone any better examples they can show or information about them?
    Are they for a butterfly bomb or something completely different.

Dave.
    Well Dave They are certainly different,but im afraid i can throw no light on
    them unless they are not German perhaps and possibley originate from another countries efforts to copy the SD2 or they are perhaps Rare examples.
    Sorry to be vague but this is realy an open forum challenge me thinks
    and could be interesting.
    Best phil

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Phil, I'm hoping fuzeman can help out on this one.......or anyone for that matter.
    Dave.

Thanks
    Well i shall be anyone then and chuck in my pennyworth...
    My bet?,i reckon possible experimental/prototype? Look at the size of them compared to the standard drougues.
    Could be German,Russian?? Have you any info Dave on where they were originally found?
    Where is 'Madbomber' when you need him!!
    cheers

waff

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks

re small wings

Yes my suggestion after looking at them again is possibly experimental. If the thought is that those small horrible looking cut downs were such an experiment then maybe these are too. However looking at them there isn't much pitch on those wings, it would be questionable if they would operate the arming spindle efficiently on the bomb fuze. Maybe the same problems on arming the bombs arose with these?!! Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Kev

Premium Member
    Thanks
    I've just asked the guy I got them from and he thought they were from an old WW2 range in Finland.
    I've attached a couple of photos to show the pitch, its definitely there, hadn't noticed it before.
    Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuzeman
    Hi Dave
    You have a set of blown up drouges from Finland a friend has just bought the remaining stock of bits . there was a dealer at Watford who had similar framed.
    Steve

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzeman View Post
    Hi Dave
    You have a set of blown up drouges from Finland a friend has just bought the remaining stock of bits . there was a dealer at Watford who had similar framed.
    Steve
    i am just coming to the end of my last bits from finland and it amounted to two, two gallon bucket loads of blown up SD2s and i have never seen one blown up quite so accurately as to mount the paddles neatley into the end of the carraige and not make any perforation holes which all of mine have.
    were are the springs or any remains of them?

Best phil

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzeman View Post
    Hi Dave
    Steve

Are you absolutley sure that these are blown up drouges?
    I cannot see where the bracket(usually banana-shaped on the early ones) fits?
    Also that round bit in the middle of the disc doesnt look like the normal drouges i have?
    I shall have another look tomorrow at a couple of examples in daylight. Crikey Steve,I bet your mate is peed off if they have just turned out to be a load of blown drouges rather than experimental(which i hazord a guess these set are)!

best

waff

Fuzeman
    Hi Paul and Phil Im 99% sure that these are part of the latest batch from Finland , will dig out the set given to me from the same source to show that mine are undamaged the same way , but the other part of the drouges contain the blast fragments.
    Watch this space

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast