What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very small butterfly bomb wings.

SG500

Premium Member
I got these today and they have me baffled. Never seen anything like it before.
They are a set of relic butterfly bomb wings. If it wasn't for the fact that they are so obviously old and relic I'd think someone had welded a couple of large bottle tops onto the end of wing support of a standard butterfly bomb.

The "wings" are 40mm in diameter and the overall length is 110mm,

I've added a few photos including one next to a standard set of sycamore wings (for scale).

The are fixed rigidly to the support and don't move (weren't designed to by the look of it).

Has anyone any better examples they can show or information about them?
Are they for a butterfly bomb or something completely different.

Dave.

Attachments

• Butterfly bits 001.jpg
    Butterfly bits 001.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Butterfly bits 002.jpg
    Butterfly bits 002.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Butterfly bits 003.jpg
    Butterfly bits 003.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Butterfly bits 004.jpg
    Butterfly bits 004.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 39
I got these today and they have me baffled. Never seen anything like it before.
They are a set of relic butterfly bomb wings. If it wasn't for the fact that they are so obviously old and relic I'd think someone had welded a couple of large bottle tops onto the end of wing support of a standard butterfly bomb.

The "wings" are 40mm in diameter and the overall length is 110mm,

I've added a few photos including one next to a standard set of sycamore wings (for scale).

The are fixed rigidly to the support and don't move (weren't designed to by the look of it).

Has anyone any better examples they can show or information about them?
Are they for a butterfly bomb or something completely different.

Dave.

Well Dave They are certainly different,but im afraid i can throw no light on
them unless they are not German perhaps and possibley originate from another countries efforts to copy the SD2 or they are perhaps Rare examples.
Sorry to be vague but this is realy an open forum challenge me thinks:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
and could be interesting.
Best phil

Thanks Phil, I'm hoping fuzeman can help out on this one.......or anyone for that matter.
Dave.

Well i shall be anyone then and chuck in my pennyworth...
My bet?,i reckon possible experimental/prototype? Look at the size of them compared to the standard drougues.
Could be German,Russian?? Have you any info Dave on where they were originally found?
Where is 'Madbomber' when you need him!!
cheers

waff

re small wings

Yes my suggestion after looking at them again is possibly experimental. If the thought is that those small horrible looking cut downs were such an experiment then maybe these are too. However looking at them there isn't much pitch on those wings, it would be questionable if they would operate the arming spindle efficiently on the bomb fuze. Maybe the same problems on arming the bombs arose with these?!! Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Kev

I've just asked the guy I got them from and he thought they were from an old WW2 range in Finland.
I've attached a couple of photos to show the pitch, its definitely there, hadn't noticed it before.
Dave.

Attachments

• Butterfly bits end 001.jpg
    Butterfly bits end 001.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Butterfly bits end 002.jpg
    Butterfly bits end 002.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 25
Hi Dave
You have a set of blown up drouges from Finland a friend has just bought the remaining stock of bits . there was a dealer at Watford who had similar framed.
Steve

Hi Dave
You have a set of blown up drouges from Finland a friend has just bought the remaining stock of bits . there was a dealer at Watford who had similar framed.
Steve

i am just coming to the end of my last bits from finland and it amounted to two, two gallon bucket loads of blown up SD2s and i have never seen one blown up quite so accurately as to mount the paddles neatley into the end of the carraige and not make any perforation holes which all of mine have.
were are the springs or any remains of them?

Best phil

Hi Dave
Steve

Are you absolutley sure that these are blown up drouges?
I cannot see where the bracket(usually banana-shaped on the early ones) fits?
Also that round bit in the middle of the disc doesnt look like the normal drouges i have?
I shall have another look tomorrow at a couple of examples in daylight. Crikey Steve,I bet your mate is peed off if they have just turned out to be a load of blown drouges rather than experimental(which i hazord a guess these set are)!:eek:oh:

best

waff

Hi Paul and Phil Im 99% sure that these are part of the latest batch from Finland , will dig out the set given to me from the same source to show that mine are undamaged the same way , but the other part of the drouges contain the blast fragments.
Watch this space

Paul
My mate bought them for what they are Blown up drouges !but are ideal for his reinactment display, which is what he is going to use some for .

Should display well. I shall be speaking to the man next week as im at the Leeds show in October and ive a 41A for him.

Back to these drouges. What is needed is some more close up shots i reckon. If you boys have a set of these then lets be 'avin 'em in this thread please.

cheers

waff

Finish Blown up SD2

Heres the end plates of the Finish drouges , that were sent to me, as you can see the ends are not perferated through blast, the other parts were though!

Attachments

• Finish drouges.jpg
    Finish drouges.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Finish drouges 1.jpg
    Finish drouges 1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pictures Steve.
Can you now see the difference between those you have and Daves?
Yours have the attachment from the bracket to the 'disc' on an angle which looks like a normal drouge when looking at SD2's but look how Daves are attached the brackets,they look like they are directly attached with no angle?

cheers

waff

I can see the difference Ok Paul I Stand corrected i did find some interesting papers regarding the other type of drouges the SD2B were found in North Africa in 1943

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow you guys have been busy on this thread.
The big difference is the size - the small ones here are only 40mm in diameter, much much smaller than the full sized ones.
There is a slight angle to them too - see post 6 above, difficult photo to take.
The wings are definitely fixed directly to the support thing.
Dave.

I can see the difference Ok Paul I Stand corrected i did find some interesting papers regarding the other type of drouges the SD2B were found in North Africa in 1943

The plot thickens there Steve,this will be certainly an interesting read
if you can post some articles regarding these strange wings or similar.

Best phil

Hi phil
It certinly does , i thought they were the full size pieces
even more confused .com
steve
i shall be searching my paperwork over the weekend to try to find anything on them

Did anyone have any further thoughts on these? Still can't find out anything about them.
Dave.

I might have a picture somewhere that looks similar to yours Dave.
Will have to root and post it for you.

best

waff