What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grimsby dropped butterflies

re ME109

The Messerschmitt BF 109 E and F can also carrier 96 bombs under it.

Thanks for that Mad!
Yes I've read accounts of these bombs being dropped by Me109's over Russia with some pretty intresting outcomes. Apparantly the planes would arm up then fly a short distance over the front lines then return to base. The trouble was that the SD2's had a tendency to hang-up (especially on the first two rows) due to air pressure, when eventually the aircraft slowed down for landing the bombs would release and drop on the approach to landing!! The pilots then adopted a slow, but not too slow, flyby over the base so that observers on the ground to see if any bombs hadn't released, only then would the plane be allowed to land.
I assume the outcome of this was the adoption of the drop containers AB24 and AB70-3 mentioned earlier-though I have yet to confirm that. But it would make sense, as the bombs would only then release after the container was dropped. You notice in the photos you posted that the bombs dropped directly from the aircraft.
If anyone has more information relating to this I would be intrested, to confirm my assumptions??
Thanks for all comments so far
regards
Kev

I just whas reading the document and it seems there whas no problem with landing the plane with bombs stil on the plane.
The only thing whas that they had to make sure the switch whas turned off.
And with off loading there whas a EOD guy there and make a report on how many bombs where still left.

Attachments

• Seite 7.jpg
    Seite 7.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 57
I just whas reading the document and it seems there whas no problem with landing the plane with bombs stil on the plane.
The only thing whas that they had to make sure the switch whas turned off.
And with off loading there whas a EOD guy there and make a report on how many bombs where still left.

Thanks M B, looks intresting will have to get it translated, but great information.
regards Kev