What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

47mm 2-1/2 Pdr rounds

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the additional pictures, and for the excellent explanation on the driving band differences!
I don't directly recognise the markings on the driving band or the rest of the projectile as 'definitely Japanese' but perhaps someone else does (or doesn't). The markings on the projectile that SG500 owns do look very Japanese, however.
I wonder if this type of projo with the Nordenfeld driving band was solely manufactured for the Japanese, or also for other countries...

Another thingy: "2pounder": to the best of my knowledge, the 'E' in a circle is a Japanese marking, or at least a marking that is related to Japan. The case you have does sound a lot like the cases manufactured for the Japanese. Presently I have three of them at home, this one, and the 4th one that's now incoming from Waffenamt then, all have very different headstamps. Some also feature this 'E' in the circle, and most of them do not seem to have any distinctly Japanese markings...

Cheers!
Olafo

47mm cases

As Falcon pointed out there are so many of these cases and shells in the UK that a lot did not get to Japan. Had quite a few thru my hands and last year saw 3 rounds together in a junk shop. I also have 2 other cases EOC dated 6/01 with TD in an oval and definite Japanese characters and one with C F(barred out) 8/3 and a Japanese symbol a bit like n in a circle. 2pr

Does any one

know why they didn't get to Japan ? It must have been a large contract that was canceled.

2 Pr. what are the two left hand ones in your picture ?

Last edited:
As Falcon pointed out there are so many of these cases and shells in the UK that a lot did not get to Japan. Had quite a few thru my hands and last year saw 3 rounds together in a junk shop. I also have 2 other cases EOC dated 6/01 with TD in an oval and definite Japanese characters and one with C F(barred out) 8/3 and a Japanese symbol a bit like n in a circle. 2pr
Did you buy them or are they still there?

Why do I never find anything like that in junk shops?

don't knows on the left

Gspragge, dont know to both your questions, the 47mm 'Jap' rounds are quite prolific over here when they shouldn't be unless some big contracts were not delivered and if thats the case why weren't the components salvaged by the manufacturer? Interestingly the cases are uncapped and the shells unfuzed. My history is not that good but what was going on politically circa 1901 to stop us supplying Japan. I'm also hoping someone here can enlighten me on my two rounds on the left. 2pr

2Pounder,

I think we are all curious about what your two rounds on the left are. Can you post some photos of the case headstamps, case length info, projo data, etc.?????

Thanks

2 on the left

Will post details and photos later, probably in identification, bit busy at the moment. Forgot to add that EOC did 6pr with Japanese marking stamps (as well as 47mm) dated 7/01 case without cap and without crimp marks, is this also part of the puzzle regarding contracts??? 2pr

Thanks to all for this useful information. Even though I'm now 9 years after the event, here are a couple of images of an American 47x131R case which I recently found. Hopefully the headstamps will be of interest to someone!

P1060429.JPGP1060433.JPG