What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

german type 55A `Y` fuze?

waffenamt

Hi chaps,

Im very happy with this for a tenner!

im sure its a 55A `Y` fuze?

Attachments

• S7002741.jpg
    S7002741.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 31
  • S7002742.jpg
    S7002742.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 43
Its a bit rough but will be restorable,so i need a correct colour code for the body please?

Check out these nice stamps!,question is what is that small `e` in between the usual ELAZ?

Attachments

• S7002744.jpg
    S7002744.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 37
  • S7002743.jpg
    S7002743.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 23
A bit of filler and paint and it will be as good as new!,i will also need to remove the remains of the transit cap.

cheers

waff

Oops!,where are the pics??,will try again.

Attachments

• S7002748.jpg
    S7002748.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 25
  • S7002749.jpg
    S7002749.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 43
Very nice, is the Y means its fitted with an anti lifting device.

I think the 17`s with ZuS 40 attachments were the anti-lift device.Im sure that the `Y` fuze had sensitive springs inside so even if the bomb case was knocked a bit,then the whole thing went off.

I reckon Fuzeman will be able to put my theory into better words when he next pops in?

cheers

waff

I also believe that this particular fuze used to have a wire attached that connected with a device on the bomb nose?
You can still see were the wire went on mine in post#4.Its just down/right from the lug sticking out.
Please feel free to chime in and correct me gents!

best

waff

Last edited:
Ref the "Y" marking i have a document here (source witheld)that says
" Y markings -these replace secondary markings
If on (25)B or (50)B fuzes you see "Cpp Y" this indicates anti handlng/anti disturbance fuze .If "Y" appears elsewhere it is not anti disturbance "
Is this correct and how close to Cpp does this have to be to not be classed as elswhere

The little e

In line with the capital E should be a small hole on the shoulder for an external contact long delay switch, usually nose fitted. This fuze is documented as anti-handling as denoted by the "cpp Y", though these secondary markings are normally assosciated with the (25)B and (50)B anti-disturbance fuzes.

As for body colour Dark Grey or left unpainted...

hope this is of some help and if anyone has an example complete with external contact switch I would appreciate a photo!

all the best

immuniser

Thank you squire for that added information.:cool:
You may need to PM `Fuzeman` as i think he may be able to point you in the right direction regarding photos?
As for the colour on mine,i will restore it and paint it.
The small hole is indeed just to the right of the large `E`

cheers

waff

Last edited: