Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I remember Sennelager from the early 80’s as I was stationed at Paderborn (just around the corner). Being a Gunner I did not train much there as It was largely an infantry training area. I do remember doing Op Banner training there on the ranges and in “Tin City” – the Fibua (as we would call it now). Trained there before going but also did Civpop for another regiment (cant remember who). I recall the civpop getting uproariously drunk both times resulting in some very realistic riots! I particularly remember being in the back of a pig when we rammed a burning car – set on fire as a barrier. The car was vaulted into the air (how it dint kill anybody I don’t know) and the inside of the pig was showered in blue sparks! The driver also came back with a perfect round circle indented on his fore-head where he had been expertly targeted by a beer can!
    I also remember parked up a load (5+?) conqueror tanks, presumably to be used as range targets. There was also many rumours about buried relics on the training area – the small impact area being allegedly particularly interesting. Also the old ammo depot, which people were occasionally despatched to guard for a week. Rumours of allsorts being found there (e.g P38 pistols). I also know of a chap who found a wartime practice effects gun under the floorboards of one of the range hut – its was featured in The Armourer a while ago!
    I was based at Barker Barracks in Paderborn - a very large camp known locally as the “Panzer Kaserne” – a tank barracks during the war. The buildings still showed bullet strike marks and also featured the heavy cobbled surface Spotter mentioned. Once some of these became dislodged along with the heavy curbstone by an Abbott (SPG) and I remember poking about and finding a number of spent brass 7.92 cases! Some of the building also still had the “Feind Hort Mit” – the German equivalent of “these walls have ears” logo sprayed on the walls (picture of a sinister Gestapo type overcoat & hat clad picture peering round the corner!) Plenty of ghost stories to!

Lots of waffle rather but not much sound info, but don’t think there is much info on these overseas ranges. I do have a faswcinating book on the Kummersdorf Testing ranges near Berlin though – very interesting indeed!

Mark

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 700 Posts
    Thanks for the "waffle" Mark,i always like to hear from people who have been there ,so please feel free to waffle on anytime..You may find this link ive just found on BAOR locations http://baor-locations.com/default.aspx

Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

Thanks
    They still find lots WWII ammo in those area. Not only tankrounds but a while ago they was a big dig up of glasmines. Especially in the deeper layers and old shooting ranges its is not advisable to dig. But the main effot was the testing and training for the crews. The windmill is on the old harrierstrip.

Thanks
    Thanks Allan - glad you found my waffle interesting - thanks also for the BAOR website link to!

Cheers

Mark

Thanks
    Mark,

Were you with 39 Regt RA at Barker, I was 15/19 Hussars at Alanbrooke on the other side of Padders at the same time. I went back there in 2004 with Durham ACF, I've got some pics of this somewhere.

Barry

Thanks
    Hi Barry,
    I was in 25 Field (1978-81). 39 was our sister regt! We had Abbots, they had M109's (firing nuclear shell I think!) I remember going over to 15/19 barracks occassionally! 25 was a Geordie Regt - wasnt 15/19 as well? I ended up in a Geordie Regt as a result of being born in Guildford, growing up in Devon and being half Indian....ending up in "the Geordie Gunners"!!!! My father who is Indian came to the UK in 1935 to go to school - served in the RAF during the war (joined up in 1940). His first posting was to Sullom Voe in the Shetlands! Same logic I think!
    Cheers
    Mark

Thanks
    Also found this website (generally very interesting) but has some nice pics of hard targets living on the Senne ranges!

http://www.hartziel.de/

Look under the section Nordrhein-Westphalen section:

TrUbPl Senne pages!

cheers

Mark

Thanks
    All looks familiar in the pictures, did you see the wild boar as well.

Didn't see anything interesting in the way of ordnance when I was there a few years ago, but when the armoured engineer regiment moved out near us they left a couple of cardboard boxes standing on their own in the middle of a field. Of course we had to look at them to see what they were and one of them was PE4.

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 700 Posts
    morning Aubrey,,,no didnt see any wild boar but saw plenty of deer every morning on the way to work.
    oh and not forgetting the Ticks and the killer ladybirds (got mauled by these a few times)
    Last edited by spotter; 31st December 2009 at 11:58 AM.

Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    I was at Sennelager in 1975 & 1977 training, the tanks had a live fire exercise at night on one of the trips, didn't get much sleep that night as I remember, the place didn't look that pristine when I was there, it was an unkept area as you can imagine as a training area, the tankies had a great time churning the ground up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12