What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 80 T & P

2pounder

Premium Member
Carrying on from the 13pr thread in collections I find I've got a wrong fuze in a shell (probably one of many) so would like to ask and I'm sure the answers will help many more collectors than just me, the following question. Which marks of No.80 went with which shells? And is it possible to get the same mark no. but made from different materials ie was a mkVII always all in brass. Thanks in anticipation 2pr

At the beginning of the war, English did not have yet the percussion fuzes N100 and with the top
The fuzes in services for the HE shell of 13 and 18 Pr Mk I were thus coupled fuzes for double purpose is with fuzes 44/80 acting of detonator and safety
The first fuzes N 80 Mk I II and III were of Krupp manufacture! entirely out of aluminium
then it were manufactured by GB
Mk IV always had the aluminium body but the graduated plate of time is out of brass
Mk V, aluminium body and nose, the brass remainder
Mk VI is out of brass but the housing of the percussion pellet is out of steel
The mk VII is entirely out of brass, but the graduated plate is less high
In the 3in HE AA the light fuze Mk IV an V are modified in 80/44
The N185 is also used with 44/85 or adapter N11
Since the first war, N80 Mk IV to VII are used in 13 Pr an 18Pr Sch
Mk I to III are used on hold 18Pr Shrapnel Mk I and II and are obsolete

Fuze, Time and Percussion, No 80

Just to add to Doctor's summary. 449 Mk VII fuzes were made of Zinc alloy by the Singer Sewing Machine Co (Ref OC Minute 18181) and a 100 were made of vulcanised rubber (OC Min 17968). Neither would have reached 'the field', both designs were scrapped.

This is the fuze that Krupps sued Vickers over in 1924 (for wartime production royalties).

Fuze, Time and Percussion, No 80

Just to add to Doctor's summary. 449 Mk VII fuzes were made of Zinc alloy by the Singer Sewing Machine Co (Ref OC Minute 18181) and a 100 were made of vulcanised rubber (OC Min 17968). Neither would have reached 'the field', both designs were scrapped.

This is the fuze that Krupps sued Vickers over in 1924 (for wartime production royalties).

no. 80 fuzes

Thanks Doctor and Bonnex, most helpful info. I can now try and get my fuzes with the right shells, were sorted by nearest date. In my odds and ends have found part of a MkIII by RL converted to and stamped 80/44.
Also have 2 MkI stamped EOC /06 and VSM 12/05.
2pr