Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Flechettes

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 761 Posts
    Some interesting info in that thread. I would imagine you would have a hard time finding photos of anyone on the receiving end of a flechette round. I can hear all the liberals screaming from here.

I heard stories of cong nailed to trees by flechettes. I had one Huey Gunship pilot tell me how they would clear jungle with 2.75" rockets. All the helicopters would fly in formation straight line, fire a rocket, count a few seconds, and fire another till all their load was fired. I believe they could carry at least 4 lauchers each carrying 19 rockets per pod.
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

Thanks
    Sounds like an effective way to clear a jungle! I once read an interview with a Green Beret who's base was being overrun- he called in nothing but flechette and WP rounds for the duration of the attack. The attack broke off, but the guy could still remember the sight and smell of the battlefield the next morning, when they had to clean it up. He kept getting "smoking boots"" from breaking up crusted over WP.
    Sounds like a PR disaster- but also a VERY effective combination!

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,179 Posts
    Here is the Soviet type system (what we know of it) for flechettes. The first photo is a Soviet 122mm flechette projectile, the second a Soviet 152mm with the nose removed and the wax matrix (as mentioned by Pzgr40) uncovered. The third is a similar matrix removed from a Soviet 152mm projectile, and finally a comparison in size of flechettes. The bottom is a flechette from a Soviet 152mm, middle is from a US 152mm, top is from a Soviet 122mm. The bottom flechette can be seen to still have wax stuck on it, the top is slightly mangled from its ride in a dud-fired projectile.

I'll leave the pictures of the cut-aways to Pzgr40, as that is his baby.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,318 Times in 671 Posts
    Hi J,
    I will have to take pictures next time I go to the museum, so if you allready have pictures please put them on the forum.
    regards DJH
    Looking for / Suche noch:
    -8,8cm Pzgr.40.
    -8,8cm D (drahtsperre)

Thanks
    DJ -
    as requested. From the Dutch Munitions Technology Museum (MTM), here is a Soviet 122mm flechette projectile, a 152mm, a Soviet 80mm rocket warhead missing its flechettes, and an intact Soviet 57mm flechette warhead (black paint).

I would note two details, first that the two projectiles have flechettes placed inside for display only, not typical of the way flechettes have been normally observed in these projos (see earlier posts in this thread). Second, in the 122mm cut-away you can clearly see the expulsion charge, tube and pusherplate which are similar to the manner of expulsion for WWI era shrapnel projectiles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Images
    Thanks
    US-Subs,

I've got around 3,000 to 5,000 of the 1" size ones. Some might be still in the cloth. I cannot remember for sure. Do you need any of that size?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    One little mistake I made when making these cutaway models; I should have place the flechettes in at random, instead of rows. However when I made them both I had no info about these projectiles. That's one big advantage of the ammo forums: the gaining of info.
    Regards DJH
    Last edited by pzgr40; 13th October 2009 at 08:17 AM.
    -8,8cm Pzgr.40.
    -8,8cm D (drahtsperre)

Thanks
    That's alright DJ, we forgive you.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Pfew.... so I can get of my knees and stop praying?
    -8,8cm Pzgr.40.
    -8,8cm D (drahtsperre)

Thanks
    This time...

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast