Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Flechettes

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,637 Times in 1,009 Posts

Flechettes

I'd put this under submunitions, but, as the discrimination continues, we will have to make do with Other, as instructed (all in good humor).

Since one of the earlier posts strayed into flechette territory, I wanted to take just a moment to share some photos. Flechettes are another area of military ordnance that is greatly misunderstood, and where the stories sometimes takes on a greater profile than the truth, mostly because there is so little open information.

Flechettes have been used or experimented with in large caliber projos and small arms, from below .22 to 8-inch, as well as rocket warheads and special devices. They have b loaded into delivery systems by many NATO countries and Warsaw Pact as well. Typically resembling finned finishing nails, they came in a great variety of sizes, and some were drilled hollow and loaded with explosives, incendiaries and toxic substances for various "special" programs.

Picatinny Arsenal used to have a great museum open to the public (now long gone). Picatinny was responsible for much of the development of the flechettes, and they had dozens of great displays that allowed the history to be viewed and at least the artillery aspects to be better understood.

I've attached just a few photos of the Picatinny displays, enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

Anders (22nd March 2012), navyman (16th April 2013), rcaf53 (7th April 2011), Sprockets (9th April 2019), tomsk (11th April 2019), vinnyw (12th November 2012)

Images
    Thanks
    Thanks for displaying

Cheers
    Freaky

Thanks
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 457 Posts
    Hi J,
    That's nice stuff. These shells were called "beehive shells"" if I am not wrong?
    Regards DJH

Thanks
    That was one of the terms used, mostly by the using units. APERS was another.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 650 Posts
    Jeff,

Nice photos. The Whirlpool board is great! All that and washing machines too! Hey, how were the sectioned rounds done, so that the flechettes didn't fall out? Did they dose them with super glue, or soak in some other type of adhesive?

I would add to what Jeff has said about Flechette rounds:

There were standard rounds for 57mm recoilless, 81mm Mortar direct fire, 90mm recoilless, 90mm tank gun, and 152mm Gun/launcher that were tin cans filled with flechettes and no fuze. They would disperse directly from the gun barrel like a shotgun.

There were also rounds for 90mm tank gun, 105mm tank gun, 105 howitzer, and 106mm recoilless rifles that had nose fuzes. Instead of reading in fractions of a second, the fuzes read in meters. Most have a push button that lets the user select the range that they want the projo to travel before the fuze fuctions and opens the projo up. The push button is engaged, and the operator twists the timing ring till he reads the correct distance, and he lets up on the push button, which snaps and locks the fuze at that time/distance.

Lastly, more common rounds also included a flechette warhead for 2.75 inch rockets during the Vietnam war, which would disperse the flechettes from the warhead once it got up to speed. There is currently a 2.75 Hydra flechette warhead for use in the Apache longbow helicopters. It uses flechettes in the 200 grain range, and is designed for shooting down other helicopters. I has an electronically programmed fuze to control when the flechettes are ejected.
    Last edited by HAZORD; 6th October 2009 at 08:55 AM.
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

Thanks
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 457 Posts
    I have also made cutaway models for the MTM Dawn museum of Russian 122 and 152mm beehive shells.
    The name beehive is derived from the sound of the flechettes after leaving the carrier shell, like a "heeve of bees" flying all out together

Premium Member
    Thanks
    DJ,

Do you have any photos of the Russian 122 and 152mm Beehive rounds?
    ___HAZ/

Thanks
    Has anyone information on the WW1 flechette's being dropped from early aircraft, or is this just another story?
    Cheers,
    navyman.

Thanks
    There are about 20 varieties, mostly found in European collections. I'll see if I can dig up some photos tonight.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    It is a true story. There were various shapes of darts, some three to 4 inches long that were thrown from planes. I have a couple I will photo tomorrow.
    ___HAZ/

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast