What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flechettes

Dave,

As it is a positive image, I think that makes it a 'Lantern Slide.' I don't know how good the chemicals they used for 'fixing' were then, I would suggest not taking the risk to prolonged exposure to light. Try a polarizing filter, circular polarizing filters are recommended for reducing reflections from glass.

TimG

I picked this up yesterday, and I have no idea what it is. Thoughts? The lower section is very heavy, best guess is solid brass. Looks like a very early AAI logo, and I've never seen this flechette design before.

DSC_1442a.jpgDSC_1443.jpgDSC_1444a.jpgDSC_1445a.jpg

Logical, but for what weapon? Almost looks like a 37mm case, but AAI is much later than any that size or shape that I know of.

Back in the office for a little bit, and getting some files ready for SLICS so that I don't buy too many things that I already have. While loading some pictures I realized that its been a long time since I posted anything, so I thought I'd throw on a couple of pictures of the collection's small arms flechette stuff. Items on the left are all from the SPIW program, each of the three prototype sixty round magazines, plus the 40mm grenade attachment.

DSCN7108.jpgDSCN7109.jpg

Just saw this thread again, so much cool stuff!

I thought I would add my only "interesting" flechettes. I posted these on the IAA long ago for ID, and thanks to them they are more than likely from some type of anti-material dispenser (like the CBU-107) and not anti-personnel. These came from AAI, and are about a foot long. The left one may be made of Tungsten or hardened steel, cant tell, the right black one seems to be made of aluminum or another light metal. Pictured with a 20x102mm dummy.
AAI anti-material flechettes.jpg

Does any one have good photographs or diagrams of the, US, 90mm XM590E1 Canister flechette round? Preferably sectioned views?

Jason

There are three slight variations to the projectile, based on the stress lines (or lack). I think I've got two, but no cutaway. No photos till this weekend I'm afraid.

Received my, INERT, example today and wanted to post photos. It is incredibly light, except for the projectile.

Jason

IMG_7069.jpgIMG_7070.jpgIMG_7071.jpgIMG_7072.jpg

As discussed in the IAA forum, looks to be either well faked or at least parted together with a remade base and components.

The flechette projectiles have always been the hardest of the 90mm RR to find, leading some to fake and others to take chances where they might otherwise look a little more carefully. There were three adopted variants, all different in the way in which they were pre-stressed/fractured or shaped to release the flechettes.
A number of these were scrapped 15-20 years ago, some components of this one could be real. This was a popular technique of one seller out east (VA?).

Here are some pictures of mine, the chopped one being a relic from one of the scrap sales. Interesting is that the full length primer was actually attached to the base of the cannister. No idea if the cannister separated in the tube or if the primer went down range with the cannister. Looking at the second one that I have (far left in the group photo) it appears that the cannister separated early on. (Base and attached primer only) I’ve also included a photo of the correct base cover.

IMG_1684.jpgIMG_1685.jpgIMG_1686.jpgIMG_1687.jpgIMG_1688.jpgIMG_1689.jpgIMG_1691.jpgIMG_1690.jpg

You are the best, Jeff.

Hope you don't mind if I save these great reference photos. Bummed mine is a fake, but the truth is the truth .

Jason

In case anyone is interested, here is a inside view of the round. Whoever faked this sure went to great lengths adding a ported primer tube, connected to the base of the canister with very good factory markings ad included the 3 bleed holes. Since it is fake, I am going to try and do a 1/4 section for giggles :)

Jason

IMG_7075.jpg

I've been after one of these for ages, saw it and just had to buy!

The darts are common enough but the holder for them not so, at least not around here. 340mm long, 65mm diameter, a rough count it must hold about 100 tungsten darts, this one probably about 75% full.

Does anyone have any drawings/info they can post please. I guess it opens up in some way but I'm not about too try as I don't expect it is easy to put back together.

Dave.

IMG_1329.jpgIMG_1332.jpgIMG_1331.jpgIMG_1335.jpgIMG_1333.jpgIMG_1334.jpgIMG_1336.jpg

WHat is the length of the darts? Weight of a dart? The dispenser is part of what kind of munition?

Thanks,

Brian

Off the top of my head I'm thinking French rocket, but could be mistaking if for something else.