What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flechettes

By the way - anyone with flechettes, I'm always looking for new ones to buy or trade.... Despite my time in Europe I've only got one of the WWI style. Drop me an e-mail if you got any for sale -

Attachments

• DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 105mm Flechette Group Type 1.jpg
    105mm Flechette Group Type 1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 105mm Flechette Group Type 2.jpg
    105mm Flechette Group Type 2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_0058.jpg
    DSC_0058.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 205
Jeff,

Photo number 4, what round is that layer of flechettes from that has the ratchet drive plate?

I pulled it out of a 105mm, no ID or model number stamped on it. I think I may still have the round.

Here a picture of a 12 gauge flechette round as used in military style shotguns.

Attachments

• 12 gauge flechette.jpg
    12 gauge flechette.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 151
Beautiful collection! Wish I had more than just a few flechettes from old 2.75" rockets in my collection. I've been looking for flechettes from the Passive Attack Weapon for a while (even in the country they were used in!)- no luck. Any ideas?
It seems that more ammo is being made in the "subprojectile carrier" class now- the Russians have pre-set timed burst charges in land-attack cannons for aircraft, and America is finalizing a 25 to 30mm projectile for AFV and APC type of weapons systems (including a programmable time-to-burst. But, rather than use flechettes, everyone uses cylinders or spheres of tungsten. I've even run across an 8" base-ejecting artillery shell filled with something like 3000 tungsten BBs.
There is, also, the (now squashed) idea of the non-nuclear strategic missile- an ICBM with tungsten bars of various sizes that are scattered at a certain height after re-entry, with the kinetic energy to take out a city block.
Kind of makes you think twice before uttering bold statements like: "then we shall fight in the shade". don't you think?

Let us not forget the "rods from God" idea!
A twenty fool long, one foot wide tungsten "telephone pole" with a satellite guidance system that drops the "rod" from orbit onto it's target at about 9 km/ sec.

I would hate to think what the Rod from God would weigh, being Tungsten 20 ft long by 1 foot in diameter. Would cost a fortune to put it in orbit at $5,000.00 per pound.

8,565.00 Kgs (18,884 lbs)

$94.4 Million Dollars

(and don't forget the cost of the Tungsten, which doesn't come cheap either)

Some interesting info in that thread. I would imagine you would have a hard time finding photos of anyone on the receiving end of a flechette round. I can hear all the liberals screaming from here.

I heard stories of cong nailed to trees by flechettes. I had one Huey Gunship pilot tell me how they would clear jungle with 2.75" rockets. All the helicopters would fly in formation straight line, fire a rocket, count a few seconds, and fire another till all their load was fired. I believe they could carry at least 4 lauchers each carrying 19 rockets per pod.

Sounds like an effective way to clear a jungle! I once read an interview with a Green Beret who's base was being overrun- he called in nothing but flechette and WP rounds for the duration of the attack. The attack broke off, but the guy could still remember the sight and smell of the battlefield the next morning, when they had to clean it up. He kept getting "smoking boots"" from breaking up crusted over WP.
Sounds like a PR disaster- but also a VERY effective combination!

Here is the Soviet type system (what we know of it) for flechettes. The first photo is a Soviet 122mm flechette projectile, the second a Soviet 152mm with the nose removed and the wax matrix (as mentioned by Pzgr40) uncovered. The third is a similar matrix removed from a Soviet 152mm projectile, and finally a comparison in size of flechettes. The bottom is a flechette from a Soviet 152mm, middle is from a US 152mm, top is from a Soviet 122mm. The bottom flechette can be seen to still have wax stuck on it, the top is slightly mangled from its ride in a dud-fired projectile.

I'll leave the pictures of the cut-aways to Pzgr40, as that is his baby.

Attachments

• DSC_3485.jpg
    DSC_3485.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC_3488.jpg
    DSC_3488.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_3489.jpg
    DSC_3489.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC_3491.jpg
    DSC_3491.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 161
Hi J,
I will have to take pictures next time I go to the museum, so if you allready have pictures please put them on the forum.
regards DJH

DJ -
as requested. From the Dutch Munitions Technology Museum (MTM), here is a Soviet 122mm flechette projectile, a 152mm, a Soviet 80mm rocket warhead missing its flechettes, and an intact Soviet 57mm flechette warhead (black paint).

I would note two details, first that the two projectiles have flechettes placed inside for display only, not typical of the way flechettes have been normally observed in these projos (see earlier posts in this thread). Second, in the 122mm cut-away you can clearly see the expulsion charge, tube and pusherplate which are similar to the manner of expulsion for WWI era shrapnel projectiles.

Attachments

• Sov 122 Flechette.jpg
    Sov 122 Flechette.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Soviet 152mm flechette.jpg
    Soviet 152mm flechette.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_3486.jpg
    DSC_3486.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_3487.jpg
    DSC_3487.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 166
US-Subs,

I've got around 3,000 to 5,000 of the 1" size ones. Some might be still in the cloth. I cannot remember for sure. Do you need any of that size?

One little mistake I made when making these cutaway models; I should have place the flechettes in at random, instead of rows. However when I made them both I had no info about these projectiles. That's one big advantage of the ammo forums: the gaining of info.
Regards DJH

Last edited: