What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B.S.C. 1pdr. 37x136r in French service

Gspragge

Premium Member
Image shows examples of Bethlehem Steel Company 1pdr. rounds and cases as supplied to France in WW1. These are not so rare as misunderstood. I have more examples of these than shown but they all look the same ! The French bought B.S.C. 1pdr. MKA Mod 1 cannon as a back up gun, likely for use against German Tanks. In practice they weren't as handy as the 1916 37mm Gun and were not likely used much. At wars end they were given to the U.S. Army which is why these are not seen in France. The American 1pdr. round was supplied to France and a large number of casings were supplied also. The French loaded these with the three basic 37mm projectiles as shown. I believe that the lower lot numbered cases were supplied with the American projectile and that the 600 and 700 lot series were loaded by France. I do not yet know whether specific lots were loaded with specific projectiles. These cases and projectiles were likely removed in mass unloading after the war and the French projectiles returned to army stocks, (which is why these are never found intact) and the American projectiles mixed with cases in no order. Many cases and projectiles shown signs of polishing for the tourist market. So far it looks like the purchasing was done during 1917 and included some 1916 dated material, I doubt that 1918 B.S.C. munitions were needed or imported. I am looking for 2-17 and 3-17 dated cases and a 1917 fuse. If you have one of these I would also like to know the markings on projectile and case as I am recording these. On another note, during 1916 Britian imported a large quantity of unloaded 37x136r cases from the U.S.. Does any one know what these were used for and how they were loaded?

Attachments

• IMG_5384.jpg
    IMG_5384.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5393.jpg
    IMG_5393.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 54
  • BSCStudyPage3.jpg
    BSCStudyPage3.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Bethleem37mm.jpg
    Bethleem37mm.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Additional image and Information

Additional information and image

Attachments

• BSCPg.jpg
    BSCPg.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 23
  • BSCgun:a.jpg
    BSCgun:a.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 21
  • BSCscalesPg1.jpg
    BSCscalesPg1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 20
  • BSCscalesPg2.jpg
    BSCscalesPg2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 19
Hi G, thanks for sharing.

could you help me to identify this item, has a strange marking, do you know??
the projectile differs from yours by the cannelure. any marking on base.
best regards
fert

Attachments

• DSC02981.jpg
    DSC02981.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02982.jpg
    DSC02982.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC02983.jpg
    DSC02983.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC02984.jpg
    DSC02984.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 24
1pdr.

Hi, what you have is a Post WW1 souviner round, The marking is from a Jewelry Supply company that occasionaly put it's own name on the base, perhaps when they sold these from thier own establishment ( I forget the name but will find it) Sometimes these have a brass plaque on them. These are made from unfinnished orleft overs from WW1 contracts and the projectiles are unmarked Navy MKll MOD1 1pdr. projectiles. There is one on ebay right now. Hope this helps.

Souviner

Here is the one on ebay. The Jewelry supply company made metal fasteners so making the decorative plaque would be easy for them.

Attachments

• 32af_3.jpg
    32af_3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 3426_3.jpg
    3426_3.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 20