What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 new arrivals

Here is a couple of items that came in the post today. On the left is a small US practice bomb, and on right is 11-66 dated dummy BDU. A bit out of my element here but I liked them (you know how it is)...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 230.jpg
    Picture 230.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 61
I like them. It's nice to sometimes get stuff that you wouldn't normally collect. Who knows, could be your next big collection

Dano,

If you haven't figured it out already, the fuze will unscrew from your submunition showing it to be hollow inside. Also, you can unscrew the screw in the middle of the fins in back, which will relax the spring plate that is holding the fins open, so you can fold them back in closed position.

The Viet Cong would make them into boobytraps by removing the fins from the unexploded ones that would catch in the trees, and stick the bomblet in a suspended tin can, with a tripwire across a trail connected to the bottom of the can. When the tripwire was pulled, the submunition would fall out so the fuze end hit the ground and detonated.

An-mk 43

Hi Tom, It is a U.S. AN-MK 43 practice bomb, said to have same trajectory as 100lb bomb, and had a shotgun shell type spotting charge. and Hazord, thanks for that interesting bit of information on the dummy BDU. Mucho appreciated.......Dano

Last edited: