What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills No.5 Cutaway... Completed!

What do you mean by 'sticking with your originals'?
Mine is an original too and where have you seen another like it before?
Its a cracking gren, in excellent condition. Its been worked on by an expert who has done a fine job, far better than you or i could do and to get an accurate circular cut on the det tube, slightly smaller than the casing cut which takes some doing which ime sure is way above the straight edges that most of us can do. Just cant see where you are coming from as everyone i have shown it to thinks its great. Its just a variation on a cutaway you havnt seen before. Ime proud to own it and i can assure you it isnt a bodge job.

Andy

Hi Andy

Sorry if I have caused any offence. You gave the impression that the two cutaways were recent conversions. If so the circular one seems to be unique in my experience and appears to be a modern interpretation on an old theme. I just don't like it, but if you do, that's fine by me. It's a big world with room for lots of opinions.

I have a few cutaways. Two are WW1 36's, one is a WW2 36 and the other key one is a centrecast No 5 that looks to have been sectioned by a museum or the maker. The last one is a No5 sectioned 'as the originals were' by that guy at Delville Wood. A tourist cutaway. All are sectioned in the traditional and original way as done by B&D and EAR etc except the centrecast.

Please bring it along when we have that beer in November and maybe I'll eat my hat!

John

Mills-in-a-can

I just thought I would add two pennyworth on sectioning and draw in the current discussion about grenades in tins. Here is a 'radiograph' of a No 36 in a can. Note the double can which allows some normal fruit or beans to be included. There is nothing sinister about the packing, it is just for concealment, not trapped. I hardy dare mention the sectioning of the grenade but it is there for all to see; a circular hole.

Origin: Likely SOE

Source: Photographs collected by Rothchild's B1c team and used to illustrate the War Office Pamphlet on Enemy Sabotage Equipment.

Attachments

• Mills-in-a-can.jpg
    Mills-in-a-can.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 44
I just thought I would add two pennyworth on sectioning and draw in the current discussion about grenades in tins. Here is a 'radiograph' of a No 36 in a can. Note the double can which allows some normal fruit or beans to be included. There is nothing sinister about the packing, it is just for concealment, not trapped. I hardy dare mention the sectioning of the grenade but it is there for all to see; a circular hole.

Origin: Likely SOE

Source: Photographs collected by Rothchild's B1c team and used to illustrate the War Office Pamphlet on Enemy Sabotage Equipment.

Very interesting. That would be one heavy can of fruit.
Thanks for showing it Norman.
Dave.

Great pictures Norman,

I suppose the reason for using a 'drill' gren was for demonstration purposes only but very interesting stuff though. The gren i have with its circular cut was made by IBR and has the 5. well, 4 now and 1 big hole designating it for drill purposes. Do you know when IBR stopped producing gren bodies, may give me an indication as to its possible manufacture date[clutching at straws really] although as i said, the plug is 1972.

Andy

Andy,

Sorry I dont know when IBR manufactured. There are contract papers in the PRO for wartime production but I have not looked for post-war contracts. TimG might have a handle on IBR generally.

It might be worth members listing post-war base plug details.