What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII Factory Photos

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Here are ten shots from Pine Bluff Arsenal in Arkansas, dated from 1944. Pine Bluff was/is a chemical arsenal, and their responsibilities included WP and incendiaries. This series of photos follows the assembly and loading of M50 incendiary submunitions into what referred to as "aimable clusters".

Photos are: Preparing the bodies, assembling the fuzes, assembly of the tetryl explosive charge for the AN M50XA3 (to deter fire-fighting),

This time with the photos.

Also included is the final assembly line for the bomblets and the beginning of the assembly into the cluster.

Attachments

• 10b.jpg
    10b.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 41b.jpg
    41b.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 35d.jpg
    35d.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 39a.jpg
    39a.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 10a.jpg
    10a.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 117
The submunitions go through various stages as they are assembled into the clusters, then they were moved to the final area, where they were packed into waterproof containers for shipment overseas.

Attachments

• 40a.jpg
    40a.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 41a.jpg
    41a.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 8d.jpg
    8d.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 8c.jpg
    8c.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 83
If anyone has a photo, I'm looking for images of the AN M50, T series. Similar to the X series, it was intended to discourage firefighting, but by the use of toxic material in the smoke instead of explosive. It only shows up in 1-2 publications, with no photos. I don't know that it was ever used, but it was standardised. Any photos would be appreciated.

A little off here Subs, But this is the PARSONS Munition Plant in Traverse City, Michigan during WWII

Attachments

• xl.jpg
    xl.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 71
Toxic smoke produced by the incendiary?
This wouldn't, by chance, be mentioned as a mixture of powdered aluminum and sulfur, would it?
I will do some serious digging (when my cargo container arrives!) thru my books, but I am pretty sure that the thing was never produced.

It was produced, it was standardised, it was stored. Whether it was ever used in anger or not is in doubt. The toxic effect was achieved by blending cadmium oxide in with the magnesium.

I have no doubts about its production, I don't need confirmation of that, just a photo. I've got data and diagrams, but somewhere a photograph exists. If I can find it I can include it in a handbook with references listed, one more piece of the puzzle.

Alright sub here an old Unknown

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture5.jpg
    Picture5.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 33
Nice try Bombs. Its the E49, there were at least three modifications, the E49R1 through the R3. It was a 10lb mustard bomb, eventually replaced by the E51, which then became the M125. I think I've got some of the tech drawings if you need them, they may be in the US though.

Bombs,
can't be sure from the photo (is that a Polaroid!!??) but it looks a lot like one of the experimental variants done for the early M42 project back in the late 60's through the 70s. When the Army decided it wanted to look at smaller submunitions for artillery/rocket dissemination there was a pretty strong competition, everyone wanted a piece of the contract. A number of small pieces were played with, the XM53 Rook was one that made it further than most (story for another day). The M42-type variants went through three general concepts, the spring-finger stabilisation, parachute stabilisation and finally the ribbon version that won out. A lot of experimental variants were pushed through the doors to get there, here are a couple of the them.

The second photo is the XM41, it used a parachute and a spring loaded stand-off for the shaped charge. To the left of it is an earlier body design.

Attachments

• DSCN1188.jpg
    DSCN1188.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1184.jpg
    DSCN1184.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 22