Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 646 Posts

25 X 155/RG GAU-7A CTA round

The GAU 7A was an American project worked on for about 5 years in the late 1960's in an attempt to produce caseless ammunition. During this time hundreds of different variations to projectile were tried.

The main contractors were General Electric and Philco Ford but many ammunition subcontractors were involved including Avco, Olin, General Motors, Hercules, Honywell, Aerojet and Brunswick.

The photographs show the Brunswick version.

This particular model is completely INERT and designed to be taken apart. The propellent is made out of wood and finished to look like the real thing.

If anyone has GAU 7A rounds in their collections in particular variations of the projectiles I'd be interested in seeing photographs of them.

Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 693 Posts
    Dave,

Excellent round! I've wanted one of these for years. Wasn't there also a 20mm version of the same design? They were being developed for use in the F-15 fighter when it was being designed in the 70s.
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HAZORD View Post
    Dave,

Excellent round! I've wanted one of these for years. Wasn't there also a 20mm version of the same design? They were being developed for use in the F-15 fighter when it was being designed in the 70s.

Thanks John. Philco Ford did a similar design in 20mm but the case was metal. I'll do some reading up on it, I've got an excellent book about all this sort of stuff and let you know.
    Dave.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    I'm guessing the pictured 25MM projectile is/was a part of the above mentioned program. A little different nose cap, but wide plastic band and a very "aggressive" cannelure for attaching the caseless propellant. Got this some time back and don't recall the specifics, but this thread may be the answer to what this is. Sadly, the condition is not pristine and some of the lettering is destroyed, but maybe one of you can confirm this is part of the family.

OAL 117.4mm
    Hi Rick yes yours if one of the many types of projectile they experimented with for the GAU 7 - they also fitted them to the GAU 8 when they tried necking it down to 25mm (why re invent the wheel after all!!) - I've shown one of those on a separate thread.
    If you look closely at the third photograph that I posted you will see that the "aggressive" cannelure has a cardboard disc fitted into it which separates the lower charge from the upper one. The fourth photo shows the base of the projectile and the cardboard disc too.
    Nice projectile.
    Dave.

Thanks
    I have one of those projectiles in nice condition, in this pic of (mostly) experimental 23-25mm ammo:

The GAU-7/A was indeed intended for the F-15, but it ran into a couple of technical problems which caused its cancellation. The first was the fear that if the plane's magazine was hit, there was nothing to stop all of the ammo from going up in flames. So they introduced fireproof sheaths around each round, which had to be stripped off before loading - a real pain. The other problem proved insurmountable; the propellant was too exposed to climatic variations, caused erratic performance.

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,746 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SG500 View Post
    The GAU 7A was an American project worked on for about 5 years in the late 1960's in an attempt to produce caseless ammunition. During this time hundreds of different variations to projectile were tried.

The main contractors were General Electric and Philco Ford but many ammunition subcontractors were involved including Avco, Olin, General Motors, Hercules, Honywell, Aerojet and Brunswick.

The photographs show the Brunswick version.

This particular model is completely INERT and designed to be taken apart. The propellent is made out of wood and finished to look like the real thing.

If anyone has GAU 7A rounds in their collections in particular variations of the projectiles I'd be interested in seeing photographs of them.

Dave.
    This is the only one I've got, but its a sad photo - I think its the only photo of this item I've got with me.

I think I photographed some of these in an EOD collection some years back, I'll dig tonight and see what I can find.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Thanks
    Sorry about this, I dug out the photos and on closer inspection I'm pretty sure that they are from a different program. Which program(s) I have no idea. Here they are regardless.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

8. The Following User Says Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

rcaf53 (2nd October 2013)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by US-Subs View Post
    This is the only one I've got, but its a sad photo - I think its the only photo of this item I've got with me.

I think I photographed some of these in an EOD collection some years back, I'll dig tonight and see what I can find.
    Yes that's the brunswick 25mm, nice sectioned specimen you have.
    Thanks for showing it.
    Dave.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by US-Subs View Post
    Sorry about this, I dug out the photos and on closer inspection I'm pretty sure that they are from a different program. Which program(s) I have no idea. Here they are regardless.
    OH YES there's some very very nice rounds there, if only they were over here in Wales safely in my collection. They really did do a hell of a lot of work trying to get them to work.

Attached are a few of the links I can find on the forum to similar things, some are similar or the same as some in your photos. Have to say I have a bit of a liking for these unusual rounds.

Thanks for showing them.

45x305 Ford aerospace APFSDS round

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/45-x-3...3.html?t=50153

Nutcracker rounds

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/very-r...8.html?t=40828

Hughes lockless

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/hughes...7.html?t=31187

25 x 145

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/25x145...0.html?t=22880

30mm AMCAWS

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/30-x-1...7.html?t=30897

25X152 Philco Ford

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/30-x-1...7.html?t=30897

Various CTA rounds

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/cta-ro...9.html?t=55569

Thanks
    This is a photo I took from the storage area at the Air Force Armament Museum, located just outside of Eglin AFB in Florida. It is an experimental cartridge for an aircraft gun, is it related to this program?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast