What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L10 Ranger Anti-Personnel Mine British Army

I do not know that you will find very much written about it other than in service publications.
I have seen these and as I recall the outer container is service brown and about a metre square, with mounting fixtures on the bottom.
The container is completely filled with launch tubes and they are fired by what looks like a 12 gauge shotgun cartridge, one per tube.
Each tube can be individually operated to give intermittent spread.

I hope this helps.

You could try old copies of the British Defence Equipment Catalogue. I am embarrassed to say that the company I worked for in the late sixties/early seventies made these, maybe they designed them too. Scatterable anti-personnel mines are very non-PC now but give them credit, most of EMI's output was lovely music on long playing records, household appliances from its Morphy Richards connection, Visual Display Units for computers and, of course, the famous Brain Scanner. It was very much "peace and harmony man".

Wife looking over shoulder, "Peace and harmony, what about the proximity fuze thingies you worked on?"
N, "Oh yes, we did a few of those."
M, "...and the missile stuff?"
N, "I suppose so, but they wern't particularly good, missile was a very appropriate name."
M, "...the contraption for the Phantom F4, the Mortar Locating Radar, and TSR2 avionics? Hardly peace and harmony was it?"
N, on a losing wicket, "Well the Gardening Club did OK out of it, the practice Ranger mines were made of Peat and the EMI Horticultural Society liberated hundreds and mixed them with John Innes No 2! They could grow anything in the restricted area using their special compost and often you hear strains of The Beach Boys and catch a waft of sweet smelling smoke. If that wasn't peace and harmony I don't know what was."

some more photo's

Fv432_mine_launcher_L10_ranger_anti-personnel_mine_tracked-armoured_vehicle_British_army_001.jpgranger001.jpgWeb Ranger Mine 001.jpgWeb Ranger Mine 002.jpgWeb L10 Ranger Practice mine 001.jpgWeb L10 Ranger Practice mine 002.jpgWeb L10 Ranger Practice mine 003.jpgWeb L10 Ranger Practice mine 004.jpgWeb L10 Ranger Practice mine 005.jpgWeb Ranger AP Cart 001.jpgWeb Ranger AP Cart 002.jpgWeb Ranger AP Cart 003.jpgWeb Ranger AP Cart 004.jpgWeb Ranger AP Cart 005.jpgWeb Ranger AP Cart 006.jpg

As well as being fitted to the 432 and Bedford MK it could also be fitted to the HMLC Stalwart. The Ranger consisted of 18 clips of 4 barrels, each barrel holding 18 mines giving you a total of 1296 mine for a complete load. they had a range of between 40 - 120m, with a 20 second clock work delay to allow them to be fired bounce and settle. the mines contained 6g of explosive and where pressure operated.