What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my local shell dump part 1

armystuff

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
hi guys
as i like metal detecting one day looking for roman coins on my favourit field i strayed further than usual .
i found a no 221 fuse then i found bits of drive band the whole area was full of metal i was fed up digging so i decided to ask some questions in the local village .
i was told to speek to the earl who owns the estate
he invited me in for a chat he told me in his grandfathers day the land was used by the MOD as a target range and he would look out some information for me and post it one month later the postman delivered a huge parcel this contained the earls paper work on the fireing range it was full of stories like how many sheep drowned in the shell holes.
how much compensation was paid to to his grandfather for repairs to stone dike walls ets ( rest of story to follow) armystuff

Attachments

• shell1.jpg
    shell1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 116
  • shell2.jpg
    shell2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 75
  • shell3.jpg
    shell3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 84
  • shell6.jpg
    shell6.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 90
  • shell5.jpg
    shell5.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 128
ny local shell dump part 2

part2
also in the letter there was the name of a local man who was working on the land at the time .
i went to visit him and ask about the fireing range sitting next to the fireplace was a 31LB the shell in the last picture i asked where this had come from he said one of the MOD guys gave it to him as a present when the military pulled out .the shell is emty and the fuse has been fired .
i now have this shell on my fireplace.
when i asked if he wanted to sell the shell he said he could give me lots of shells.
he told me when the MOD moved hundreds of live shells from the ground after the farmer ploughed them up they filled two sheep pens with 25LB smoke shells( see last picture) could someone please give me that auction site thats taken over from ebay again?:tinysmile_shy_t:

my local shell dump

:tinysmile_shy_t:if anyone has any idea what colour and what the markings would have looked like on the rusty shell in the pic please let me know
and would this have a brass case or charge bags to fire it,
(and where to buy the paint in bulk )?:xd:

Hello armystuff,be carefull when doing the old ranges personally i wouldnt recomend it,no guarantee everything is safe,depending upon when it was cleared some of the older locators had a very limited search depth ,plus items move up and down in the ground so something that may have been out of locator range years ago may now be closer to the surface ,also please dont disclose this location on BOCN

my local shell dump

hi spotter
i intentionally did not mention where this site was for the same reasons you were worried about.:tinysmile_shy_t:
as for the clearance of live shells this was done about ten years ago .
i dont metal detect that area incase i come across live stuff as for the sheep pens the shells are lined up in rows pilled on top of each other
so you can see the back of the shell is hollow and been fired .(smoke shells)
(to make sure i usually put the shells in my motherinlaws car boot for a couple of days just to be sure? better safe than sorry):xd:
only kidding?
regards armystuff.

my local shell dump

:call2:there must be somebody who knows the colour and the markings of the shells before they were rusty .
and if they had a brass case or a charge bag .?
regards armystuff ,

Armystuff rusty lump on left looks like 25pdr Base Eject smoke round,These used a seperate cartridge with charge bags.If you go into the restauration and preservation section ,,look up this topic "British colour schemes 1940s to early 50s "

my local shell dump

:tinysmile_shy_t: cheers checkin it now spot on spotter.
regards armystuff.

theres some more ere as they tended to change depending what period produced/used in

Attachments

• 25lbs1.jpg
    25lbs1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 106
my local shell dump

:tinysmile_shy_t: cheers spotter
just putting my cabin cruser on the net to cover the price of the paint
for all theese shells .?:xd: thanks