What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any bofors experts out there

Clive,yours sounds like a mkIII drill but the projectile should be attached to a through bolt and secured via nut to base,not soldered,with a wood insert in the case,pics would help.Tony.

Hi Tig, Could you post the details of the Mk II and III drill cartridge in a similar manner to my post on the Mk I cartridge above?

Would be really usefull for the information to be on the site.

Cheers. Q

bofors drill

Herewith pictures of my 40 L60 drill round, if any collector of these is interested it is on my list of things to go. 2pr

bofors drill

Sorry having trouble attaching photos suddenly it doesn't want to know.

pictures bofors drill

Firstly appologies should have read re maintenance, feel bit of an idiot wasting Spotters time pointing out what I should have read, sorry. Herewith pictures of my Bofors drill. 2pr

Attachments

• 40 Bofors drill1.JPG
    40 Bofors drill1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 40 bofors drill2.JPG
    40 bofors drill2.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 48
  • 40 Bofors drill3.JPG
    40 Bofors drill3.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 51
Bofors drill's Mk I & III.
The red painted drill is stamped I but differs markedly from the wooden & brass example, both in materials and profile. Its also marked 40 M.M. A.P.L. rather than drill.
Do any members know what the Mk II looked like?
Bofors L60 drill.JPGBofors L60 drill base.JPG

Yours is a proper Drill round.The primer is fired and the firing pin mark has been expanded so as to not foul the firing pin during Drill sessions. Drill rounds should NOT have a driving band because it will engage the rifling and cause problems with extraction after the Drill session is over..as HAZORD tried to explain. He was not suggesting that gunners should try to pre-engage the rifling...that is surely just for Recoiless Rifle rounds. A Drill round should weigh the same as a Service round so as to familiarize the trainee gunners with the weight they will expect to find when firing live rounds.

Thanks flak18, I'm aware that they're proper drill rounds. My question is can the two wooden bodied drill rounds both be mark I's?
The red painted round has the profile of the AP shot rather than that of the HE projectile and the brass portions are replaced with steel.
Has anybody a picture or description of the Mk II drill round?

No problem flak 18, crossed wires! (and I agree with you appraisal of the round in the original post)

So does anybody have a Mk II drill round?

Apparently these are Dutch MK II Bofors, got these from somewhere, but these are really not my piece of expertise/interest. they're just tucked away somewhere gathering dust.
Visible are the marks: DRIL and EXC (Exercitie = Dutch for practice).
01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

Just sharing,

Robert