Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:

Hybrid View

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Italian 4 Kg Manzolini bomb

Here a pic of the Italian 4 Kg manzolini bomb and the fuze, the bomb itself is a replica, both fuzes are real. The fuze in the bomb is aluminium and the other brass. According to Op 1668 Italian & French Explosive Ordnance the brass one is anti disturbance and the aluminium is anti disturbance and self destruct, can anyone confirm that?.
    Thanks Blu.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

Thanks
    Great pics!

Was this particular ordnance known as a 'Thermos Bomb'?

best

Waff

Fuzeman
    What a wonderful and extremely rare fuze , I visited the Maltese bomb squad a few years ago , hoping to actually see one of these mines , all they had were fragments, Then earlier this year i had a call from the son of one of the British bomb disposal sappers , who was stationed on Malta throughout the seige , who told me that these fuzes had an oil dash pot inside.i will try to find the notes i made at the time.
    Last edited by Fuzeman; 10th November 2009 at 06:29 PM.

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Sorry Eric, I'm away from my books. I don't trust the 9-1985 series that much, too many errors. Do you have the TM called " Enemy Bombs"? That would be the next place i would check - it is one of the TM E series. If you don't have it remind me when I get back and I'll check it.

Quote Originally Posted by blu97 View Post
    Here a pic of the Italian 4 Kg manzolini bomb and the fuze, the bomb itself is a replica, both fuzes are real. The fuze in the bomb is aluminium and the other brass. According to Op 1668 Italian & French Explosive Ordnance the brass one is anti disturbance and the aluminium is anti disturbance and self destruct, can anyone confirm that?.
    Thanks Blu.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Thanks

Thermos bomb

This certainly looks to be the 'Thermos' bomb. Designed to explode if disturbed after they fell, these were dropped in their hundreds across civilian areas of Malta in November 1941.

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    I have a copy of Major Arthur Hogben's book, `Designed to kill'. Page 99 gives diagrams of a fuze, similar to your photos. They are titled `Italian bomb 4AR (Thermos)'. `4AR' stood for `4 kg Armamento Retardato', delayed arming bomb.
    Before the bomb was dropped the safety pin was withdrawn, allowing the vanes to rotate as the bomb fell. The vanes were part of a cap and once unscrewed, the cap fell away from the bomb. Air caught the projections that stick out from near the top of the bomb and pulled off the cup from the bomb, releasing the primary safety devices from the fuze. The bomb fuze, still falling, now looks like the fuze in the second photo. On initial impact with the ground the secondary safety devices were released and after a few more seconds the bomb was fully armed. The bomb could then detonate when jerked or jolted. An alternative fuze version incorporated a timer (type not stated, but presumably clockwork) that could be pre-set to detonate up to 80 hours after impact, even when left undisturbed. An area denial weapon, then.
    Any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with accordingly by eod personel

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for the aditional information.
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,166 Posts
    What I don't understand is, where are the bodies for this submunition? Over the years I have seen maybe 50 of the fuzes spread between Europe and the US, but no more than a couple of the bodies at most. Normally it would be the opposite. Anybody know why?
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,219 Times in 653 Posts
    What material are these bodies? Steel?