What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105 mm shell casing

pylon1357

Well Not sure where to put this topic so bare with me if I put this in the wrong place.

I picked up this shell casing from a good freind in the Leo Yard in KAF, during my time there. As I understand it, we (Canadians) used these in the Leo Is.

I am curious as to what the stenciling means. Any help, or comments are greatly appreciated. If larger photos are required, please be sure and let me know.

Attachments

• 105mm bottom full (Small).JPG
    105mm bottom full (Small).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 105mm with markings 2 (Small).JPG
    105mm with markings 2 (Small).JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 59
last one for now. As I said fellows, if any more photos are required, please by all means let me know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 105mm bottom showing part markings3 (Small).JPG
    105mm bottom showing part markings3 (Small).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 16
Hi, nice case.
The 4 indentations on the base indicate it is a HESH round (confirmed by the stenceling).
Dave.

105mm HESH

I am having a hard time making out the stamped markings on the base of the cartridge case. On the side of the cartridge case the NH .033 is non-hydroscopic .033", which is the distance across the webs on the propellant, HESH - High Explosive Squash Head, L35A2 the model of the complete cartridge.

If you can wipe the markings on the bottom with chalk or a white china marker they would be easier to see. The markings would include lot number, drawing number?, acceptance marks, etc.

Rlb-ooo-rw

RLB is Royal Laboratories Birtly in Lancashire

The three joined "O"'s mean that the primer is a "Unified" thread.

RW XXX is the design drawing number of the case.

Many thanks fellows. I will try the chalk and see if I can get better results of the stampings on the base. I was very curious about the stenciling on the side of the case. Again, I thank you all very much.

Cliff