What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TonyE will love this...

Oohhh

Thanks for the help TonyE.....

Can you tell me more about this?

Grenade launching blank? For who?

Attachments

• IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2094.JPG
    IMG_2094.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 21
Shanghai Police

TonyE/GI Zhou,
Tony, the "dot-in-circle" and "divided triangle" apparently appear on .455" Mk.2 revolver ball rounds and .380 ACP ball rounds ordered by the Shanghai Municipal Police from Kynochs in 1935 and 1938. The late Peter Labbett wrote an article for Guns Review (Feb. 1986, p112) which mentions these headstamps.
GI Zhou,
Peter Labbett only mentions these pistol cartridges as having these headstamps. Do you know if they actually made any .303 with them, at all?
Roger.

Cataloging

Cataloging the collection and came across this...

Not marked Mk.IV but has a Mk. IV projectile...

Any info? (First 2 pictures)

Also found this... someone looks to have made it....
(Last 3 pictures) Brass tube goes right to the bottom of the case, bullet is soldiered in...

Attachments

• IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 47
SMP ammo

TonyE/GI Zhou,
Tony, the "dot-in-circle" and "divided triangle" apparently appear on .455" Mk.2 revolver ball rounds and .380 ACP ball rounds ordered by the Shanghai Municipal Police from Kynochs in 1935 and 1938. The late Peter Labbett wrote an article for Guns Review (Feb. 1986, p112) which mentions these headstamps.
GI Zhou,
Peter Labbett only mentions these pistol cartridges as having these headstamps. Do you know if they actually made any .303 with them, at all?
Roger.
I was teh individual who passed the information to a certain Northern Californian cartridge collector that he was the proud holder of a SMP Kynoch .380ACP cartridge at 2.15 am one morning; after being sent an email at 2 a.m. I used the info Peter Labbett had previously sent me in a letter, which I kept with others of his and other poeople, who have helped me research the SMP. He didn't quite take it in at the time, but I am assured he was over the moon ince it had sunk in.

There is a .303 MkVII flat based projectile (unfired) marked SMP in existence, held by a fellow in Missouri, and there was no case with it.

OOps I forgot to mention one thing. The curious thing is that the SMP used SMLE carbines that were set up for the Mk VI cartridge, but the small SMP Reserve Sniper Unit apparently used their personal rifles, which used the MkVII cartridge.

Various .303

The FN made .303 with the odd aluminium bullet is a grenade launching blank of some kind, but I do not know anything more than that. A similar bullet is also found loaded in 7.62 x 51mm rounds.

The "DI Z" Canadian round looks like some kind of home made adaptor, but could be something else entirely. The flash hole looks like it has been drilled out but beyond that I cannot help. Paul Smith in Canada should be the man to tell you about it. Try posting it on the IAA.

The last round, the Kynoch incendiary, is actually not a B.IV, but what is known as a B.IV*z trade pattern incendiary.

These were contract rounds made by Kynoch for overseas customers, and when war broke out they were accepted into British service as the B.IV*z. They differ slightly internally from the normal B.IV and if you compare them, the bullet shoulder is in a different position. There is another version headstamped "K 39 VIIB" which has a slightly different bullet again and a blue tip.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
BIV*z

Here are a couple of labels for the trade pattern of the BIV incendiary.

The first is a 10 round packet containing rounds with the same headstamp as yours.

The second is an outer label for a crate with 39 x 32 round packets. Don't ask why, it is probably because that is the best fit for an existing crate. I do not know which of the two types of BIV*z this refers tp.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• BIV trade 1941 BZ.jpg
    BIV trade 1941 BZ.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 25
  • BIVz trade.jpg
    BIVz trade.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 24
Another Weird .303

Here is a wooden dummy with a green tip. Headstamp is:

R/|\L 27