What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Sea-Mine Horn.

waffenamt

A pity is that whoever sectioned this took away the stamps!
Nay mind,its not a bad 'un and was cheap as chips!
Has anyone please got any drawings of the capsules that were once inside this item as i wouldnt mind some mock ups being made for it.

best

waff

Attachments

• S7005514.jpg
    S7005514.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 147
  • S7005513.jpg
    S7005513.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 201
hi mate
heres a horn (hertz) with glass tube intact

18pounder

Attachments

• horn.jpg
    horn.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 139
I've got a couple of these horns somewhere and I'm sure I recall a rubber sheath to protect the glass (this may start some silly replies!). If I can find it/them I'll post some pics. Trevor

Received a pair of these horns today one complete with the inner sheath..the stampings are not very clear but they look to be stamped brc the other gv,
waff did you ever get any of the ampoules replicated ??

Attachments

• P1000092.jpg
    P1000092.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 116
  • P1000098.jpg
    P1000098.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 65
  • P1000100.jpg
    P1000100.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 58
Hi Spotter,
Those are in great condition complete with washers and is that original paint on one of them ? I guess you will be cutting one of those.
Best Weasel.

Hi weasel,,yes i believe that is original paint ,,i will only cut one if i can find something to replicate the ampoule

Received a pair of these horns today one complete with the inner sheath..the stampings are not very clear but they look to be stamped brc the other gv,

Feeling Horny there Spotter :xd:

nice horns,,, I dont often see these about,, look forward to a cutaway,

cheers Nick

I've got a couple of these horns somewhere and I'm sure I recall a rubber sheath to protect the glass (this may start some silly replies!). If I can find it/them I'll post some pics. Trevor

yes your right about it starting silly replies...

Rubber sheaths !?
Does this rubber sheath stop any liquid escaping and penetrating?
or is it to keep the fit tight?
sorry couldnt help it.

Have you seen the relic dalek arm yet?:xd:

Hi Spott,
I havnt had any joy finding anything as close yet but im on it. :)
Great pickup on the inner lining on yours mate,ive never seen one for these mine-horns.
best

waff

waffenamt's horn is a Britisch mine horn used on type H contact mine.Spotters horns are German mine horns.

when i got the mine hornes there were 3 with the rubber inside and 1 with the complete inside(tupe) i looked through at least 2500 pieces, found only 1 complete, have some horns left the rest was melted.

waffenamt's horn is a Britisch mine horn used on type H contact mine.Spotters horns are German mine horns.

In that case friend,i shall put it in classifieds shortly!
I only collect German WK2. Thanks for the info. :)

best

waff

when i got the mine hornes there were 3 with the rubber inside and 1 with the complete inside(tupe) i looked through at least 2500 pieces, found only 1 complete, have some horns left the rest was melted.

Consider the Brit horn yours old pal. :)
Will drop it at Stoneleigh.

Question..Which side copied the other first i wonder? Did the germans copy the Brit one or vice-versa?

cheers
waff

Here are a couple of close-ups from a german WW2 EMC-mine I took today:

Attachments

• IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3159.jpg
    IMG_3159.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 48
And some spare acid-horns in the original storage/transport crates:

Attachments

• IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3181.jpg
    IMG_3181.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3187.jpg
    IMG_3187.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3188.jpg
    IMG_3188.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 37
Answering Waffenamt, Dr Albert Hertz in 1868, working for Prussia, developed the bichromate firing system. Originally, it was a bump or blister on the side of the casing, but then turned into a horn. Although excellent in not needing a separate battery, as was required with a Switch-horn, and having no problem with weed fouling of the horn,or contact deterioration, it had two main disadvantages. The first one was that explosion of a neighbouring mine could fracture the glass tube of a horn (Countermine problem), so spacing had to be greater. The lead rings around the horn help to protect against countermining to a limited extent. Also, the bichromate had to run downwards to the battery plates, so horns below the mine had to be mounted in ell-shaped supports. The rubber shock-absorber was mainly to prevent rattling of the glass tubes (Wide tolerance) in the lead horn, and possible fracture. (The Japanese must have been trying to save on rubber by using thread and apparently cork for the same purpose) Viewable inthe pictures are the threaded portions used to mount the guard tubes protecting the horns in the mine-layer, being removed just before laying. If a horn should be bent prematurely, then a small hole in the battery comparment let the bichromate run away before the mine arming switch was closed, so the mine did not have a premature, and the other horns could still work. I believe a slight advantage of a Hertz horn was that there was a short delay before current output built up, so that after a mine struck the hull in the vicinity of the bow-wave, the mine would actually explode further back, in the vicinity of the engine-room. (Albert Hertz was no relative of the more famous Heinrich Hertz, who first demonstrated wireless transmission)
Just an aside on moored mines-There was a good chance that a vessel could travel through without impact, but it was the thought that it could occur was the deterrent. Planted close together, apart from the impossible expense, would also cause contermining, with a whole minefield exploding! Paravanes were a good protection, but a small goods vessel would find the drag causing such a reduction in speed as to make their use impracticable.

Regards,

Martin .

I couldn't find a good drawing of the acid-horn arrangement in the german mines, but this is is similar: An illustration of the horn-installation in the norwegian N49 mine from the early 50's. The N46 was a "hybrid" system, utilizing a british Mk XVIII type cupola with german acid-horns and an german EMC-type anchor.

Translation of some norwegian words used in the drawing:
Gummi = rubber
Kappe = coat
Propp = plug
Bly = lead
Syre = acid
Minekule = minecupola
Sink = zinc
Kull = coal/karbon
Utboret = drilled
Skl = disc
Hull = hole
Ledning = lead/wire

The coal- (positive) and zinc (negative) terminals acts as the battery, generating current when the electrolyte (ie the acid) is added from the broken glass vial. Note also the small holes drilled into the bottom of the plug, for draining the acid of a premature activated horn (ref Sprockets explanation in the previous post).

Attachments

• horn.jpg
    horn.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 38