What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Lazy Dog' Bombs

Hi Darren
I bought from ebay 10 of these a few months back including post and packing was $8 from the states, there is not a great value in them.

Information on Lazy dogs
Contained in a Mk44 Cluster bomb, comprising a Mk16 cluster adaptor (a sheet steel case) with about 10,000 Lazy dogs. the weapon is designed around a 9.9Kg Charge of TNT , when it explodes will cover an area of approx 100 square yards.

Steve
Source Modern airweapons by Chris Chant

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Darren
I bought from ebay 10 of these a few months back including post and packing was $8 from the states, there is a great value in them.
regards

Wow that was cheap, i was offered 2 of these items for a fiver each but wasnt sure if that was a good price.

Darren

Hi darren
Thats far too high a price , what i did was mount them on polished wood bases and had my details underneath, these i sent out as presents , im not sure if i have any left .

Ebay

Item number:120496961235Item number:120496961235Item number: 120496961235.
I baybe intrested in some if you got some to spare:bigsmile:

Cheers

I remember when I was a kid,a buddy of mine and I would travle regularly,against our parents wishes,to the Army/Navy store up town. A lazy dog bomblette would set you back a whole nickle back then. I was shocked the first time I saw one for sale at $5.00

I remember when I was a kid,a buddy of mine and I would travle regularly,against our parents wishes,to the Army/Navy store up town. A lazy dog bomblette would set you back a whole nickle back then. I was shocked the first time I saw one for sale at $5.00
That sounds right, you could order them from the back of a comic book for 3 two bits
Gus

I think I still have a sandwitch bag full of them somewhere. We used to buy all kinds of stuff.Practice grenades"the solid cast in handle versions" were a buck.Surplus helmets were $2.50 At that time one could still purchase WWII vintage K and C rations,that were still slighty edible.Boy those were good days.

Neat!
Anyone know where I can get, say, a couple hundred or so?
I got a few helicopter insertions to deal with in the coming months........:xd:

Hi Darren
I bought from ebay 10 of these a few months back including post and packing was $8 from the states, there is not a great value in them.

Information on Lazy dogs
Contained in a Mk44 Cluster bomb, comprising a Mk16 cluster adaptor (a sheet steel case) with about 10,000 Lazy dogs. the weapon is designed around a 9.9Kg Charge of TNT , when it explodes will cover an area of approx 100 square yards.

Steve
Source Modern airweapons by Chris Chant

I'm not so sure about the 9.9kg charge of TNT - if you were talking simply fragmentation balls that might work, but TNT would strip the fins and deform the bodies that you went to all the trouble to put into a ballistic shape. As I recall the dispenser had no more than a minor opening charge, with the lazy dogs packed into paper sacks. I'll see if I can find a reference.

Yes that was the opening charge 9.9 kg is listed in several publications

The Lazy dog is very similar to a .303 bullet head , but with mini fixed fins attached , when jettisoned from their container, these lazy dogs scatter over a wide area, they would be effective against Soft skinned targets like Land rovers with canvas covers,

I remember reading that when dropped from 2000 feet they gained as much energy as a .50 BMG bullet.

Yes that was the opening charge 9.9 kg is listed in several publications

I've got my reference now, I cannot post the entire ref due to source considerations, but I will quote certain sections.

In Regard to the MK44 Mod 0 cluster for the lazy dog submunitions, it states:

"The AN-M146A1 mechanical time nose fuze is the only hazardous component in the cluster. The fuze contains a primer detonator and a small booster (110 grains of black powder)."

"Spacers inside the container base divide that area into four compartments to accommodate the antipersonnel missiles. The missile load is apportioned and packaged in four paper bags, the sides of which are slashed to facilitate dispersal of the missiles. Approximately 3,100 missiles are carried in the aft compartment and 2,300 in each of the other compartments."

"When the cluster is released from the aircraft, the arming wire is withdrawn from the fuze. The fuze arms and fires. The force created by detonation of the booster charge shears the locking cup retaining wire and forces the cup back into the cavity in the forward end of the cluster adapter. Rearward movement of the locking cup releases the adapter cover which is then forced open by air pressure. The cluster tumbles toward the ground, scattering the Lazy Dog missiles."

There is no high explosive in the cluster whatsoever. I place the reliability of this source document far above Jane's or any public internet sources. If you need more info contact me by PM and I'll pass what I can.