What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade cleaning

jhonni \

Method of cleaning with oxalic acid.
If your model of grenade initially was painted and have rust now, you can washing it in oxalic acid. Oxalic acid not dissolve a paint, rust only.
This grenade arrived yesterday, is empty and inert and in colour.
That model was not ideal initially but it better now after washing.
Good luck!
Eugene.

Attachments

• washing grenade1.jpg
    washing grenade1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited by a moderator:
notice:
- Washing a model with polymeric brush after every 40 min.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Eugene. Great work. Thank you for the advice, it looks like it will be very useful. Thanks Colin

Do not mention it! :)
All diggers in Russia use an oxalic acid for cleaning! It's very fantastic acid! Use it for cleaning and will be happy... and your models! :)

Method of cleaning with oxalic acid.
If your model of grenade initially was painted and have rust now, you can washing it in oxalic acid. Oxalic acid not dissolve a paint, rust only.
This grenade was find yesterday, now is an empty and in colour.
That model was not ideal initially but it better now after washing.
Good luck!
Eugene.
Hi Jhonni, another point well worth mentioning is that oxalic acid is very mild, and will not rot all the cloth in your basement and turn the pipes green like others such as muratic acid...Dano

Nice work, jhonni!

Ive been useing the same ratios of acid with the water (1:10). My small advice, after waching with the acid solution, it`s good to neutralise the acid action with solution of the soda ach (Na2CO3) and then just dry it out. Usually the object quickly picks up a very small layer of rust all over the body, like a dust; and then, last step you must bedaub it with a rust protecting agent. That is experience of mine.
Oh, and before all those steps, I usually remove mechanically the yeasty rust , its just a good opportunity to save the durabilities of reaction of the acid.

Best
E

Hi Jhonni, another point well worth mentioning is that oxalic acid is very mild, and will not rot all the cloth in your basement and turn the pipes green like others such as muratic acid...Dano

May be you have in view a muramic acid Dano?

Yes quite so, after washing need neutralise the acide. I prefer used for it just a soap. And then dry it out, and then use a machine oil for conserve model.
;)
So guy's just do it!
But don't eat an oxalic acid it's dangerous! :) :)

Last edited:
... And then dry it out, and then use a machine oil for conserve model.

Yes, it`s ok to use a oil, but it isn`t good to handle it latterly and will be befoul my lovely crates :bigsmile:.

But don't eat an oxalic acid it's dangerous! :) :)
...just smell those fumes! Yammy! (actually dangerous too)

E

Last edited:
Yes, it`s ok to use a oil, but it isn`t good to handle it latterly and will be befoul my lovely crates :bigsmile:.

Need use a rag with oil and rub oil into model. ;)

On photo oiled grenade...
Second way for keep your model after washing is a lacquer for steel!

Attachments

• DSC01417.jpg
    DSC01417.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Actually it`s a big challenge to protect and save the examples, as we know, it`s not possible to stop the ruin process, only decelerate it.

- hydrochloric acid EAT a paint!!
- oxalic acid DON't EAT a paint!
Understand!?
:)

Hydrochloric acid... eats light alloys also ,, small parts seem to dissapear in the mix,, try diluting with water to start of with first and use carefully don't forget the gloves and goggles and watch out for the fumes,,

Regards nick