What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 17 cm Wurfmine - best photo I've ever seen!

Der_Feldgraue

Look at the details of the markings, stamps etc.:

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 329
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 341
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 280
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 272
I was able to buy this photo. Here is a better scan!

Attachments

• Minen_TEXT1.jpg
    Minen_TEXT1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Minen_TEXT2.jpg
    Minen_TEXT2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 163
Quick run through Photoshop.

Attachments

• Minen_TEXT1.jpg
    Minen_TEXT1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Minen_TEXT2.jpg
    Minen_TEXT2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 239
Thanks! Very good photo for restoration of one of them. Some months ago I saw a short video sequence how they were painted. The, already fieldgrey painted, mines were just rolled over some kind of positive template which was soaked with black paint. Very interesting to see!

Does someone has a picture or information about the 17 cm Wurfmine used for gasmines?
The type with the 8 large holes as in this photo below. (comes from the Tillmann Reibert book, from the free pages that I could find online).
What is the color used for gasmines on the shell? Are there musea where these can be seen? Rare?
foto kanon.JPG

Another photo from the Battle of the Somme
For John8 Minen color was gray. For Sprengminen,bands were black or green and white for Gasminen.
I always try to manufacturers marking codes like "Lab"
Jean Paul
Minen 17.5.jpg

Last edited:
Does someone has a picture or information about the 17 cm Wurfmine used for gasmines?
The type with the 8 large holes as in this photo below. (comes from the Tillmann Reibert book, from the free pages that I could find online).
What is the color used for gasmines on the shell? Are there musea where these can be seen? Rare?
View attachment 113024

The mortar shells on the photo are calibre 25 cm and not 17 cm! And I wonder because I know them as target practise mortar shells with a small smoke charge. All Gasminen (chemical) which I know don't have these holes.

The mortar shells on the photo are calibre 25 cm and not 17 cm! And I wonder because I know them as target practise mortar shells with a small smoke charge. All Gasminen (chemical) which I know don't have these holes.

Target practise... you do not happen to know the color of these smoke shells? The color of the piece is dark orange to red. (I believe original color)

I always try to manufacturers marking codes like "Lab"

"Lab" is simply the abbreviation for "laboriert". "Füll" would be the abbreviation for "Füllung". These are no codes. They can simply be translated with "filled".

Great photos! The shell on the left seems to be the version with the added 2cm baseplate and two black rings. Filling would then be 12-13 kg Donarit. Typical for mines to be filled with those commercial ammonium nitrate based explosives which caused a large earth movement when exploding in the ground