What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ww1 granatwerfer

18pounder

Hello all

has anyone got any really good dimentions for a Granatwerfer?

I'm planning a serious restoration and need plans for the fins,(3 or 4 fin version)and how they were attached.

thanks alot

18pounder

mmmm havent had any luck yet....er anyone help or prepared to measure one for me and make a diagram?

18pounder

have you tried the search option ?,theres a few granatenwerfer topics on site

DANNOOOOOO!!! where are you!?

ive had alook at previous posts with no joy ..

i'm after the fin dimentions only,even better if someone has a schematic of one :tinysmile_hmm_t:

thanks

Hi 18pounder, been busy and just caught up. This will direct you to another thread on the fin attachment and measurment. There might be a better way to do this but I guess old school here. If you need other measurments loet me know and I can measure mine and let you know..Dano

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/german-3-fin-t52658.html?t=52658

thank you so much friend!!
i will post some images of the project if it goes ahead

18pounder

ummm ok

so according to tthe images ive seen, fins are atached to short fins via a kind of rivett.?
And the short fins are part of a metal tube that
slip
over the main stem?

sorry my p.c is doing stupid st
u
ff !! aghhhhh
t
hanks
18pdr

p.s
has anyone got any images or diagrams of the fins seperate from the body?

Last edited by a moderator:
choices

Hi 18pounder, It seems you have a couple of options. Yes some units the fins are riveted on and others such as the one I have pictured here there are no rivets. Also hard pressed to see any evidence of a spot welds so how they are attached I am not sure. If you look at the pic you can see that the top edge of the fins closest to projectile is as high as the mounting sleeve goes (yes it is a sleeve). The relic unit I got from smle2009 (thanks Tony) I made the fins from sheet aluminum and epoxied them to the tail to make a 3 fin to display alongside the 4 finner. As this other 'werfer was a relic I did not split hairs on my methods. It is a doable project and time, effort and materials all depend on what you expect when finished. I am very happy with the 3 finner I made, but then again as I mentioned before my expectations were not high. I will show a pic or 2 of the 3 finner I did if you would like to see that. The one pictured here is all original, save the fuze....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 357.jpg
    Picture 357.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 30
Hi 18pounder, It seems you have a couple of options. Yes some units the fins are riveted on and others such as the one I have pictured here there are no rivets. Also hard pressed to see any evidence of a spot welds so how they are attached I am not sure. If you look at the pic you can see that the top edge of the fins closest to projectile is as high as the mounting sleeve goes (yes it is a sleeve). The relic unit I got from smle2009 (thanks Tony) I made the fins from sheet aluminum and epoxied them to the tail to make a 3 fin to display alongside the 4 finner. As this other 'werfer was a relic I did not split hairs on my methods. It is a doable project and time, effort and materials all depend on what you expect when finished. I am very happy with the 3 finner I made, but then again as I mentioned before my expectations were not high. I will show a pic or 2 of the 3 finner I did if you would like to see that. The one pictured here is all original, save the fuze....Dano

thanks so much danna
helps me loads

regards

18pdr

Here you go 18pounder.
There should be everything here that you need.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Granatwerfer details.jpg
    Granatwerfer details.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 52
Here you go 18pounder.
There should be everything here that you need.
Cheers, Paul.

Danno thanks for thre great images,and 'Paul the grenade' that has totally sorted my 'fin' questions!

Thankyou sooo much all.
Hopefully i will post a restoration soon

18pounder:tinysmile_kiss_t2:

Fins

Here is a close up of the riveted tail fins. Hope this helps...Dano

Attachments

• bbbbbb.jpg
    bbbbbb.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 33
Here is a close up of the riveted tail fins. Hope this helps...Dano

hello danno
thanks for image.
my granawerfer has arrived,its soaking in rust remover at the moment,it quite good and in one piece!
will post images soon when it done so i can post them together

thanks