Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.

Thread: 7.92X54mm?

Thanks

7.92X54mm?

Hello,

on a site in the south of the Netherlands, on the eastbank of the Maas (Meuse) we found several ww2 remains, both british and german (mesh tins, smoke generators etc.). These remains could originate from the german invasion as well as late 1944/early 45. Among the ammunition we found two varieties: the first has a boatshaped bullet (diam. 7.9 mm, length 33 mm, case length 53.4 mm), the second is also boatshaped but slightly larger (diam. 8.2 mm, length 36.7 mm, case length 56.8 mm) - measurements are both taken off a unfired round.
    The second one is I assume the wellknown 7.92x57 Mauser, but what is the first one?

Alfred

Thanks
    If looking at the late stages of the Second World War they could have been using Russian weapons that had been rebarrelled. This is a hypothesis, but would make sense, as there were ex-Russian now German soldiers in Western Europe.

Thanks
    Maybe first is Belgian 7,65 x 53 ?

Thanks
    If the bullets were taken of live rounds than you must have a headstamp from the cases. Is there F N and a date on the 53,5mm long cases

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Thanks

Maas

Is the first round you describe rimless? If so, then the suggestion that it is 7.65 x 54mm Belgian Mauser sounds likely.

Is it possible to see a photograph of the rounds please?

Regards
    TonyE

Thanks
    First of all; thanks for the replies. I posted a photograph of the first round. Unfortunately, the case is to corroded to decipher the headstamp. I haven't had the opportunity to take a look at other examples.
    I did a bit of google-ing myself and found, besides the Belgian Mauser 7.65 x 54 you guys suggested, the French 7.5 x 54 MAS. is this a possibility? The germans used the french MAS-36 rifle after the invasion of France, calling it the gewehr 242(f).
    If it is the Belgian mauser: did the germans use rifle of this kaliber? The measurements seem to fit the belgian mauser better than the french 7.5 x 54.

thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Looking at the bullet it is a belgian round. These were also widly used by the german forces in the Netherlands. In zeeland (Nl) large numbers of these round are found and also the magazines of the Belgian BAR.

Thanks
    Yes, it is Belgian Mauser 7,65 x 54 !

Thanks
    Thanks for the information and identification!