What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 chargers

peashooter

BOCN Supporter
Can anyone tell me a website or any where I can find out the stamps on .303 chargers please, I have lots but a few are - 2 mk4's 1 with TF&S & the other with P

thanks
Richard

Can anyone tell me a website or any where I can find out the stamps on .303 chargers please, I have lots but a few are - 2 mk4's 1 with TF&S & the other with P

thanks
Richard

TF&S = Thomas French & Sons.

Chargers

AFAIK there is no book or website that has a comprehensive list of the charger manufacturers.

Most of the knowledge is picked up by individual collectors over the years from other collectors and passed on again.

Perhaps one day someone will put it all down on paper or in cyberspace. For example, there is a very good site for 7.62mm NATO chargers.
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~kevin_a/

Post the ones you want identified. between us we can probably ID many of them.

Common makers in addition to the two above were:
British Pens
John Mitchell
William Mitchell (Pens) Ltd
Myers & Sons Ltd
Bullpit & Sons Ltd

Plus of course the ammuntion manufacturers amde them as well, Kynoch, Birmingham Metals 7 Munitions, Kings Norton etc., etc.

Regards
TonyE

Saa makers

I HAVE FOUND A SITE WHICH LISTS OF MAKERS STAMPS. HOPE THIS IS OF USE.
LEE
  • cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

Chargers

eodpuds - The International Ammunition Association (IAA) site you show is very good for cartridge headstamps, but does not list the makers marks on chargers, which was what Peashooter wanted.

As I said previously, AFAIK there is no site that lists these for .303 chargers.

BTW, ALL of you interested in SAA should join the IAA!

Regards
TonyE

Happy New Year to all,
I've gone through my charger clips and have come up with:
Mk II JM John Mitchell
" " K Kynoch
" " * ?
" " B&S Bullpit & Sons
Mk III * ?
Mk 4 BO ?
Mk IV MO ?
Mk IV BP British Pens
Is there any chance of other members listing there known manufactures and BOCN being the first to have a complete list of .303 charger and their codes?
Garth.

Happy New Year to all,
I've gone through my charger clips and have come up with:
Mk II JM John Mitchell
" " K Kynoch
" " * ?
" " B&S Bullpit & Sons
Mk III * ?
Mk 4 BO ?
Mk IV MO ?
Mk IV BP British Pens
Is there any chance of other members listing there known manufactures and BOCN being the first to have a complete list of .303 charger and their codes?
Garth.

If everyone keeps adding them to these I can update my list I am putting together I am trying to build a website for .303 a bit like the 7.62 x54R.net but for all the .303 info I can put together including chargers. If anyone has any files of notes they want to send me to add to the website just give me a pm. I could do with all the photo's I can get please 303 rounds and chargers anything odd.

cheers
Rich.

303 Chargers

The 303 Chargers Mark II and III with the seven pointed star or asterisk are made in Lithgow NSW. BO is Bendigo Ordnance (Vic.) and MO is Maribynong Ordnance (Footscray Vic.) made the Mark 4 and Mark IV. Often the MO impression on the charger comes up as MC.
The early Mark II chargers have a small "nib" on both sides at RH end, this was done away with on the later Mark II and all other Marks. The "nib" was to facilitate the location of the charger on the SMLE MkI which had a sliding guide on the bolthead. As the SMLE MkIII came into vogue with a fixed charger bridge the "nib" was no longer required.

stripper clips

:tinysmile_angry_t:

thanks
Richard
hi peashooter, how about codes- JA, BP, B in a circle, P, CABC, CASC, and an asterisk with V1 in roman numerals. regards jonnyjamup.

stripper clips

:tinysmile_hmm_t:

thanks
Richard
hi peashooter,have tried sending this message once,computer having a blond moment, some clips I have with codes JA, BP, P, K, CABC,CASC, B in a circle, and one with just an asterisk, regards jonny jamup.

:tinysmile_hmm_t:
hi peashooter,have tried sending this message once,computer having a blond moment, some clips I have with codes JA, BP, P, K, CABC,CASC, B in a circle, and one with just an asterisk, regards jonny jamup.

BP - [FONT=&quot]British Pens
P - [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]C. H. Pugh Ltd of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Birmingham[/FONT][FONT=&quot].
* or asterisk - [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Lithgow NSW
K - Kynoch

I have not got the rest but I am sure someone can fill us in, do you have any spare .303 clips/chargers to swap or sell

Rich.
[/FONT]

Peashooter,

I use to have a website in my favorites that had everything including the different clips that they used. Now I cannot find it, Sorry, Ill keep looking.

Henry Krank sells assorted lots of MKIV`s on Evil Bay.
Bit of gamble/lucky dip as to what manufacturers you get but I had some a while back & there was a good selection.
Search .303 under all categories. I think 11 for 15?

BP - [FONT=&quot]British Pens
P - [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]C. H. Pugh Ltd of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Birmingham[/FONT][FONT=&quot].
* or asterisk - [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Lithgow NSW
K - Kynoch

I have not got the rest but I am sure someone can fill us in, do you have any spare .303 clips/chargers to swap or sell

Rich.
[/FONT]

Hi peashooter,
I've got mulipules of some of mine that I'm more than happy to swap for others to add to my collection.
Garth.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Help with these please anyone, I would like to know what stamp these makers used on the chargers and what Mk's of charger they made.

William Mitchell (Pens) Ltd
Myers & Sons Ltd

Also JA, CABC, CASC, B in a circle, who are these and what Mk's of charger did they make please

many thanks
Richard.

303 Charger Manufacturers

I have been compiling a list of 303 Charger manufacturers (subject to correction) and here are some with the Marks I have/or found information on.
BP British Pens Ltd. Birmingham Mk 4 & IV
D.S. Davis Steel, Pembroke Dock Mk 4
E Eley (or Enfield?) Mks I, II & II w/nib,
G Greenwood Batley Mks II & II w/nib, Mk III
K Kynoch Mks II & II w/nib, Mk III and Mk IV
M Charles Mitchell Mk I, Mk II & Mk II w/nib (also recorded as C.M)
M.S Myers & Sons, Birmingham. (Pens) Mk II & Mk II w/nib
P Perry & Co Ltd. Birmingham. (Pens) Mk II & Mk II w/nib
CHP Charles H Pugh Ltd. Birmingham.
CWS Charles Webb & Sons Ltd. Mk I
J.M John Mitchell (Pens) Mk II & Mk II w/nib, MkIII
C.B C. Brandauer & Co. Birmingham Mk II & Mk II w/nib
W.M William Mitchell (Pens) Ltd.Smethwick Mk II & Mk II w/nib
GC Gramophone Co. Ltd. Hayes Middlesex Mk II
B.S and B&S Bulpitt & Sons Ltd. Mk I
CASC & CAS Cascelloid Ltd. Leicester Mk 4
HWT H.W.Taylor Mk III
MB in Circle Metal Box Co. Mk 4
Crossed Flags over B Braendlin Armoury Co. Mk I

Other codes that I am not sure of are: V Vickers?, W Woolwich? R Radway? AS in Box, B in a circle, JP joined, small case g Mk II w/nib.

As mentioned this is just some of what is around and obviously others are going to find additional marks and manufacturers to add to the list above. I hope that happens and we can get a good consolidated list of makers and the Marks they produced.

Charger stamps

I have seen the following maker's stamps:
KN (in "tin can") on a Mk1 = Kings Norton Metal Co.;
O on a Mk 3 = ?
F[arrow over I] on a Mk3 = Indian, but don't know which;
B in circle on a Mk 4 =?
SC on a Mk 4 = ?

Any help with the unknown ones is welcome!
Roger.