What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 chargers

Getting there I just need a few confirming please by the experts

Is E for Eley or Enfield

Is P Perry & Co Ltd. or Charles H Pugh Ltd

and any help with ydnum303 little lot???

Richard

Other codes that I am not sure of are: V Vickers?, W Woolwich? R Radway? AS in Box, B in a circle, JP joined, small case g Mk II w/nib.

Last edited:
303 chargers

Thought I would post some more charger manufacturers ~ not sure who made some of them, have put the code and the Mark No.

P&S MK4
IV S and S III
NE IV (I believe this is from New Zealand)
H in circle IV
IV M/175
III F
H&S Mk4
IV K-B
O III
Broad Arrow in circle II without nib (Canadian, Dominion?)
Broad Arrow in C IV (Canadian, Dominion?)
GM I to GM V (bottom RH corner) 1945 contract Giollo Martinelli, all Mark III
Arrow over I MK4 KF. Kirkee India

Quite a few stamped as Mk IV are the later Mk 4 style. If you collect variations of the stampings, some have inverted stamps and some, particularly GC (Gramophone Co.) were slack in stamping the codes vertically.

Les

Thought I would post some more charger manufacturers ~ not sure who made some of them, have put the code and the Mark No.

P&S MK4
IV S and S III
NE IV (I believe this is from New Zealand)
H in circle IV
IV M/175
III F
H&S Mk4
IV K-B
O III
Broad Arrow in circle II without nib (Canadian, Dominion?)
Broad Arrow in C IV (Canadian, Dominion?)
GM I to GM V (bottom RH corner) 1945 contract Giollo Martinelli, all Mark III
Arrow over I MK4 KF. Kirkee India

Quite a few stamped as Mk IV are the later Mk 4 style. If you collect variations of the stampings, some have inverted stamps and some, particularly GC (Gramophone Co.) were slack in stamping the codes vertically.

Les

Many thanks I will add to growing list, can you clarify a few things for me please as I am a novice-

GM I to GM V (bottom RH corner) 1945 contract Giollo Martinelli, all Mark III - what do you mean by GMI to GMV

Broad Arrow in C IV (Canadian, Dominion?) - could the C be a bad circle stamp and not a C ??

Arrow over I MK4 KF. Kirkee India - is KF or Arrow over I the makers stamp

& why are some marked IV & others with the number 4 what is the difference?

cheers
Richard.

Chargers

To answer a few of your questions.

The Italian chargers marked GM I to GM V are not British and therefore do not follow British marking practice. I suspect the number identifies the machine used to make the charger. It is not a mark number.

It is definitely a broad Arrow within a "C". This is the Canadian government ownership mark equivalent to the British Broad Arrow. This is found on all Canadian equipment, including most .303 cartridges

"KF" (for Kirkee) is the maker and the arrow over "I" is the pre-independence Indian government ownership mark, just like the "C for Canada above. It was introduced in 1895 for all Indian Army equipment, again including small arms ammunition.

The British system of Mark numbers was changed in 1945 from Roman to Indo-arabic numerals, so "IV" is pre 1945 and "4" is post 1945.

regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Many thanks Tony, I hope you dont mind me checking things with you as I want them 100% correct for the website.

So is a broad arrow within a circle correct as well or is this a "C"

the GM stamps are there 5 different chargers with each GMI, GMII, GMIII, GMIV or GMV

Is E for Eley or Enfield

Is P Perry & Co Ltd. or Charles H Pugh Ltd

Other codes that I am not sure of are: V Vickers?, W Woolwich? R Radway? AS in Box, B in a circle, JP joined, small case g Mk II w/nib.

C broad arrow

Here is a Canadian Mk III clip... with the C /|\

Attachments

• IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 40
303 Chargers

Re TonyE's comments and MissingSomething's photos re the "broad arrow in C" and found that I had misinterpreted what I thought was a "broad arrow in O" as closer inspection of an enlarged photo showed it to be a "C" (attachment). Therefore scratch the "broad arrow in O".

Attachments

• Canada Mk II.JPG
    Canada Mk II.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 41
Re TonyE's comments and MissingSomething's photos re the "broad arrow in C" and found that I had misinterpreted what I thought was a "broad arrow in O" as closer inspection of an enlarged photo showed it to be a "C" (attachment). Therefore scratch the "broad arrow in O".

No problems this is why I am trying to be so thorough, I know it might seem I am asking a lot of questions and going over a few things twice but we dont have a current full list for charger and this is to go on the .303 website when launched so I want everything to be correct.

Any more charger photo's would be very helpful as well

thanks everyone again.

Richard.

list so far

Well this is the list so far still gaps so if anyone can help please let me know and any charger photo's would be a great help too so I can show a photo of each stamp with the name.

Richard.

Attachments

• 303 charger list.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 92
Hi Guy's
I went through my ammo and on Canadian .303 MkVII Ammo charges are stamped MkIV B in a Circle The Ammo is DI 45 VIIZ DI = Defence Industries Ltd. CIL Montreal. Mag from a Long Branch Rifle also have B in a circle on the platform.
Cheers Gerry

303 Chargers

On going through the information I had gathered on charger manufacturers, I have the following to add, although I am uncertain as to their identifier.
E. Bibb & Sons, Birmingham
Baker and Finnemore,(Pens) Birmingham
British Stamped Metal Ceiling Co. London,
Cook & Co, Manchester
Hancock & Cornfield, Imperial Works, Mitcham
Parkinson & W.B.Cowan, Birmingham
H & T Vaughan, Willonhall, Staffs.
S. Thomas & Sons Redditch
Pen makers seem to be one of the main charger manufacturers particularly during WW1.
To add more variables to this thread is the number of different finishes applied to chargers i.e. blued, painted, phosphated, laquered and galvanised ~ goes on and on.........

Les

updated

updated again, anyone help with the missing bits of info.

Cheers
Richard

Attachments

• 303 charger list.pdf
    6 KB · Views: 80
Greetings from Texas! Just joined yesterday, after finding your forum during a web search. Good stuff! I am, as my screen name implies, a WW2 history buff, and own a number of rifles and their accessories from both WW1 and WW2. I have an SMLE No. 1 Mk III* and a No. 4 Mk I* made by Long Branch in 1943, together with their bayonets, slings, ammunition, and some cloth gear. The No. 1 Mk III is a real shooter...

I found this thread whilst trying to figure out charger markings. I have some Mk IV P marked, which I take it is either Perry or Pugh, but I have one that I haven't found listed on any forum. Any idea who made a Mk II marked with a PU?

P1010826.jpgP1010827.jpg

Welcome to the site WW2Buff, this is one of the stamps "PU" that I have not found a manufacturer for yet so here's hoping someone knows

Rich

Assuming there isn't more than one Pugh, their monogram was 'CHP'

TimG

Last edited:
BAKFIN - Baker and Finnemore,(Pens) Birmingham
BSM - British Stamped Metal Ceiling Co. London,
CCO - Cook & Co, Manchester
HCW - Hancock, Corfield & Waller, Imperial Works, Mitcham
P & C - Parkinson & Cowan (Gas meters), Birmingham
B encircled – J. Birch & Sons, Walsall.
P- Perry & Co. Birmingham
CHP – C.H. Pugh
H & S – Strachan & Henshaw, Bristol (educated guess)

No trace on these -
E. Bibb & Sons, Birmingham
H & T Vaughan, Willenhall, Staffs.
S. Thomas & Sons Redditch

TimG

H&T Vaughan made Mills grenades and used the monogram H&TV.

Strachan & Henshaw is H & S as Tim states.

S Thomas & Sons Ltd, British Mills, Redditch is ST.

Tom.

Last edited: