What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ww2 Russian NS-45 HE projectile.

wz.KC

Hi,

Something new for my Russian aircraft ammunition colecton.
HE projectile for Experimental 45mm NS-45 aircraft cannon.
Not "mint" condition, but I'm happy anyway :)
HE-T projectile with MG-8 nose fuze.
Projectile and fuze made in 1944.
Last pic's - complete 45mm round (45 x 186)

Here some info from www.geocities.com ;

"This rare caliber was an experimental project and shortly used in the Yak-9K fighter plane. The
NS-37 aircraft cannon was fitted with a 45mm barrel, to get the new gun NS-45, designation
OKB-16-45. It weighted 152kg and fired 250rpm. It was developed by A. Nudelman and A.
Suranov of the OKB-16 in 1944 and was also installed in the engine vee, firing through the
propeller hub. Recoil was heavily increased with the increased projectile weight, so a large
muzzle break was fitted to the barrel.
Only 53 Yak-9K planes fitted with the NS-45 gun were evaluated by special pilots in the war
in1944. The ammunition capacity in the fighter planes was 29 rounds. The NS-45 proofed itself
unreliable and was not adopted for service.
Not very clear information is available about the ammunition used.
The NS-37 case was necked out to 45mm and slightly shortened to 185mm to maintain the same
overall length of the NS-37 round. Probably only HE-T fragmentation shells were used as service
rounds. The projectiles were taken from the readily available 45mm Naval AA-gun 46. However,
it is unknown how and if these projectiles have been modified, because originally these Naval
projectiles had two driving bands.
A different report also mentions a 1065g AP shell with a muzzle velocity of 850m/s that could
penetrate 58mm of steel plate. Any other particulars are sadly not known.
"
(info from; www.geocities.com)

Attachments

• PC075097.jpg
    PC075097.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 106
  • PC075099.jpg
    PC075099.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 78
  • PC075095.jpg
    PC075095.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 61
  • PC075094.jpg
    PC075094.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 62
  • ns45.jpg
    ns45.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 113
Nice item

Hi wz.KC thanks for showing us and also the clear explanation of the round and its use.

Nice item and rare to find too I guess.

Hi,

Something new for my Russian aircraft ammunition colecton.
HE projectile for Experimental 45mm NS-45 aircraft cannon.
Not "mint" condition, but I'm happy anyway :)
HE-T projectile with MG-8 nose fuze.
Projectile and fuze made in 1944.
Last pic's - complete 45mm round (45 x 186)

Here some info from www.geocities.com ;

"This rare caliber was an experimental project and shortly used in the Yak-9K fighter plane. The
NS-37 aircraft cannon was fitted with a 45mm barrel, to get the new gun NS-45, designation
OKB-16-45. It weighted 152kg and fired 250rpm. It was developed by A. Nudelman and A.
Suranov of the OKB-16 in 1944 and was also installed in the engine vee, firing through the
propeller hub. Recoil was heavily increased with the increased projectile weight, so a large
muzzle break was fitted to the barrel.
Only 53 Yak-9K planes fitted with the NS-45 gun were evaluated by special pilots in the war
in1944. The ammunition capacity in the fighter planes was 29 rounds. The NS-45 proofed itself
unreliable and was not adopted for service.
Not very clear information is available about the ammunition used.
The NS-37 case was necked out to 45mm and slightly shortened to 185mm to maintain the same
overall length of the NS-37 round. Probably only HE-T fragmentation shells were used as service
rounds. The projectiles were taken from the readily available 45mm Naval AA-gun 46. However,
it is unknown how and if these projectiles have been modified, because originally these Naval
projectiles had two driving bands.
A different report also mentions a 1065g AP shell with a muzzle velocity of 850m/s that could
penetrate 58mm of steel plate. Any other particulars are sadly not known.
"
(info from; www.geocities.com)

Hi very nice round and thanks for posting all that useful information about it.
I've been after one for years - i have a projectile - if you you have a spare case or complete round I would be interested in one.
Thanks,
Dave.

Not to forget that this projectile was also used on the naval "45mm Universal Gun" with the 45x310R case.

Both rounds were not experimental.

I have been meaning to reply to this interesting post by wc.KC
my question is this:- from which case was this ns-45 made from, it looks like the ns-37 case !

the shoulder on the ns-37 is only 43.6mm diameter, the ns-45 round in the photo still retains a "shoulder", ?
mick

Please see the book "Soviet Cannon" by Christian Koll, pages 419 and 420.
There is the comparison of both cases.

One more pic from the web.

Bob

Attachments

• cartuchosue7.jpg
    cartuchosue7.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: