What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Museums

Investment

Hello Everyone,

I would be interested to learn what museums (WW1 and WW2) are a must to visit when in Canada, Holland, Belgium, France, England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

I hope the BOCN members can kindly help me out with some information, as it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Invest :tinysmile_shy_t:

PS: I'm also interested in the smaller museums, as well. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hi
If you are in Ireland an interesting place to visit is Fort Dunree on the coast of Lough Swilly, County Donegal. It started before 1800 and has both 1st and 2nd WW history.
Plenty to see with a small museum, lots of empty buildings and old gun emplacements along with some guns dotted about the site.

Regards
SG

Hello SG.
Great stuff, I've written your information on Fort Dunree into my diary.
And with Google Earth I have been able to view County Donegal via satellite image.
Many thanks,
Invest :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

A pleasure to be of help.

Another place in Northern Ireland related to Fort Dunree is "Grey Point Fort"
http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/greypointbatterypage.htm

It has two excellent 6 inch gun emplacements. If you are looking for it on Google Earth, find Helen's Bay on the South coast of Belfast Lough and it is on the northern land point.

Invest are to planning a trip to Northern Ireland?

Regards
SG

Hi SG,
Yes, all the countries I have mentioned I will be visiting from September 2008 onwards. As a lot of the BOCN members live in these countries. I thought it would be easier to gather some information from them direct, regarding museums that they may know about in their areas. Thanks once again for your information on "Grey Point Fort", it's in the diary.
Cheers,

hi there investment :tinysmile_shy_t:
if in scotland go to Edinburgh castle very nice place and a great collection
to see my .favourit is mons meg a huge connon it was used in many a siege on castles a few hundred years ago, one castle in particular is lochmaben castle three miles from me. there is a huge stone cannon ball
lodged in the wall reputidly from this cannon ?
if you check out the mugshot section on the sight im in the castle with a AK47 thers a lot of pickpockets around .
armystuff.

hi there
those balls are huge :tinysmile_shy_t: the ones in the background

armystuff

Hello ArmyStuff,
Many thanks for mentioning the Edinburgh Castle.
I have been watching the Edinburgh Military Tattoo since my childhood.
So, I will definitely visit the castle while in Scotland.
Cheers,

:tinysmile_shy_t: as i play in a band i have played there lots of times and made many friends when the tattoo finishes and the public leave we entertain the MPs
and lots of the other players from all over the world in the big hall ,
when the fireworks go off its like a war zone the whole castle shakes .
i hope you have a good trip
armystuff,

Canada is a big place so it really depends on wherea you are going to be. A good rule of thumb is that most Regiments have a small museum which are usually quite interesting. The Canadian War Museum in Ottawa is a must if you are near there, and if in Calgary, the Museum of the Regiments is a nice one to visit. Vancouver and Victoria mostly have Regimental Museums but there is Fort Rodd in Victoria that is quite interesting, its the
Fort that protected the Harbour from the 1800's till WWII.