What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daves 67 fuze

Allthough the two guides are missing from this sectioned fuze it can be clearly seen that no dummy selector switch had been made on this casting ,Time stamped into the side is 10 (mins ).

Just to repeat what Dave has just said ' another nice 67 ' -thanks for posting Steve
regards
Kev

Nice fuze Steve, what's your theory on why there would be a dummy switch?
Dave.

Dunno about Steve but i would hazord a guess the dummy switch was to confuse BD staff??

btw nice cat Steve!

Back to the 67 conundrum with the numbers,i just picked one of mine up and it has the number 20 on it? I will take a daylight piccy the 'morrow.

best

waff

Waff the tiny numbers on the side indicate the time delay.
They come in 5,10,15,20,25 and 30 minute delays (ref data sheet that was Mr Fuzes that was posted on the forum but I can't find now).
Dave.

Waff the tiny numbers on the side indicate the time delay.
They come in 5,10,15,20,25 and 30 minute delays (ref data sheet that was Mr Fuzes that was posted on the forum but I can't find now).
Dave.

Cheers Dave,
I might have a flutter on the Lotto next week with that series of numbers!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
best

waff

Hi Paul
Dont bother using German fuze numbers , ive been using them since day one and only had a couple of tenners.

Dave the relevant document on the (67) picture 3 shows the time marked on the side

Attachments

• 67 time markings 002.jpg
    67 time markings 002.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 67 time markings 003.jpg
    67 time markings 003.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 67 time markings 001.jpg
    67 time markings 001.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 31
Dunno about Steve but i would hazord a guess the dummy switch was to confuse BD staff??

btw nice cat Steve!

Back to the 67 conundrum with the numbers,i just picked one of mine up and it has the number 20 on it? I will take a daylight piccy the 'morrow.

best

waff

With regards to the dummy switch, I'm swinging more to it being for the benefit of the German armourers. The position of the switch is exactly the same as that of the 41A fuze and all examples seen so far point to zeit, indicating time delay. I earlier mentioned it could have been to confuse B.D. but having thought about it why mark AZ Zeit. (impact time). If bomb disposal found it the impact marking would hold no relevance and having a pointer, dummy or not, set at zeit would indicate time fuze (especially after having dealt with 41's for well over a year). If it was intended to confuse B.D. then why mark it at all? no markings at all would surely have caused more confusion!!
Still scratching my head on this one. Of course its all guesswork!!

Anyone else have any ideas on this one?
Better still anyone have any documents with this type of fuze? (ie; 67 marked with AZ Zeit)

regards
Kev

67 ten minute delay

Just a few photos of the 10 minute version of the 67 which arrived today.
INERT of course.
Dave.

Attachments

• Post 23 Dec 09 001.jpg
    Post 23 Dec 09 001.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Post 23 Dec 09 002.jpg
    Post 23 Dec 09 002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Post 23 Dec 09 013.jpg
    Post 23 Dec 09 013.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Post 23 Dec 09 014.jpg
    Post 23 Dec 09 014.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 37
Here are some photos of the early 67 fuze with outer casing removed.
I will leave this movement in untouched condition as I can see traces of a 10 on the brasswork - its a little difficult to make out in the photos but there non-the-less. I have read that the time delay was stenciled onto the fuze mech, but this is the first time I have seen it.

The movement looks identical to that of the later 67, it would appear to differ only in the method of fixing to the outer casing. The dummy switch has no function, and I have seen mention of this in a document dated April 1943 - as such I can now say with confidence that this is the early version of the 67.

regards
Kev

HPIM4978.jpgHPIM4982.jpgHPIM4983.jpg

Here are some more pictures.
I would like to extend my thanks to Dave from whom I secured this item as part of a recent deal.

regards Kev

HPIM4979.jpgHPIM4980.jpgHPIM4981.jpgHPIM4984.jpg

Glad U liked it Kev.
I was just wondering - are the "clock" mechanisms made by the same people who make the fuze bodies or are are they made up of components from different manufacturers? Any indication of who made the brass bits inside?
Dave.

Glad U liked it Kev.
I was just wondering - are the "clock" mechanisms made by the same people who make the fuze bodies or are are they made up of components from different manufacturers? Any indication of who made the brass bits inside?
Dave.

Unfortunately no stamped markings on the clockwork mechanisms. The 67's I have seen pictures of have case markings of 'eov' or 'br' (the only ones I have seen so far) and both these manufacturers are from the Swiss border region, which would indicate an area of clock manufacturers, however I am not sure wether the case manufacturers were involved in the manufacture of the internal mechanisms.

regards Kev

Attachments

• 67 clean 001.jpg
    67 clean 001.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 67 clean 002.jpg
    67 clean 002.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 67 clean 003.jpg
    67 clean 003.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 67 clean 004.jpg