Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 694 Posts
    OK I can live with that too, makes life easier.
    Now for the rust dip.........wonderful stuff!
    Dave.

RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    If you really want to return them to their former glory, a body hammer with corresponding dolly, and anvil and possibly fabricate a striking anvil with the general cradling as on your butterfly ridges. The right tools can go a long way and lots of patience as well. Not so easy to explain but i've been around speciality tools (many fabricated myself) all my life. All depends on your expectations with end result. I would not even do any leading or body filler on these as a little roughness in the end would only tend to give it some character. If you watch some of Phils step by step procedures on his restoration projects you can't help but pick up a tip or two as that man absolutely is a master of the trade. Sometimes you just have to look at your job and visualize in your mind, now what type of tool or apparatus would be of help in this particular application and make something to suffice. With all that said, nice find Dave and good luck in which ever road you choose to travel in the end. Aside from Phil, there are several individuals in this forum who are very creative with their respective restoration projects just too many to mention, I chose Phil to mention because of his uncanny knack to take you through his projects step by step. I generally will take my time and try to do a cracking job if I start with a nicer piece, but on the other hand if I start with a relic and want it to end up still looking like a relic then I am much less discriminating on my methodology. All depends on what you expect from the finished product....Guess that was a mouthful!! Dano

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Wow, yep, got all that Dano, thanks for the advice.
    I think I'm going to try a sympathetic gentle clean for now and see how they turn out.
    Dave.

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1917 View Post
    If you really want to return them to their former glory, a body hammer with corresponding dolly, and anvil and possibly fabricate a striking anvil with the general cradling as on your butterfly ridges. The right tools can go a long way and lots of patience as well. Not so easy to explain but i've been around speciality tools (many fabricated myself) all my life. All depends on your expectations with end result. I would not even do any leading or body filler on these as a little roughness in the end would only tend to give it some character. If you watch some of Phils step by step procedures on his restoration projects you can't help but pick up a tip or two as that man absolutely is a master of the trade. Sometimes you just have to look at your job and visualize in your mind, now what type of tool or apparatus would be of help in this particular application and make something to suffice. With all that said, nice find Dave and good luck in which ever road you choose to travel in the end. Aside from Phil, there are several individuals in this forum who are very creative with their respective restoration projects just too many to mention, I chose Phil to mention because of his uncanny knack to take you through his projects step by step. I generally will take my time and try to do a cracking job if I start with a nicer piece, but on the other hand if I start with a relic and want it to end up still looking like a relic then I am much less discriminating on my methodology. All depends on what you expect from the finished product....Guess that was a mouthful!! Dano
    Kind words again Dano
    And i must admit i would whole heartily agree with what you say.

I have a relic assembely which realy is a relic but holds 70% of its original paint and is battered and split almost beyond repair.
    To restore it would ruin it as its interest lies in the relic form,but Daves wings however are prety sharp in the metalwork department and even with the squashed bits there realy isnt that much interest generated by what little damage it has,in fact i would think most people would prefere to see it back to its former glory and having said that it would make a cracking
    example

Go on Dave you know you want to

Best phil

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Hummmmmmmm........what is it they say........"I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!!".............now my minds completely confused!! Think I'll have to do some practice on a relic wing I have spare and see how the metal forming goes before bashing this one.
    Dave.

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    I will stick with my opinion on keeping them as is. They can always be renovated at a later date and certainly are not going to get any worse within your collection.
    However if you decide to renovate I think Phil is your man- he has the tools and knowledge to raise items from beyond. I'm sure also with his guidence you will achieve something great.
    At the end of the day you would end up with a set looking like the rest on your shelf- this set is different, they have hit a roof or the likes, its history! I think you would take that away from the piece by restoring it to its former glory. I have seen part burned incendiarys, full of chararcter, you could blast them and fill them but then its just another of the masses??
    Again its personal choice, what is one mans meat is another mans poison.
    At the end of the day they are in great condition- great find Dave.

Only my opinion!!
    cheers
    Kev

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    I will stick with my opinion on keeping them as is. They can always be renovated at a later date and certainly are not going to get any worse within your collection.
    However if you decide to renovate I think Phil is your man- he has the tools and knowledge to raise items from beyond. I'm sure also with his guidence you will achieve something great.
    At the end of the day you would end up with a set looking like the rest on your shelf- this set is different, they have hit a roof or the likes, its history! I think you would take that away from the piece by restoring it to its former glory. I have seen part burned incendiarys, full of chararcter, you could blast them and fill them but then its just another of the masses??
    Again its personal choice, what is one mans meat is another mans poison.
    At the end of the day they are in great condition- great find Dave.

Only my opinion!!
    cheers
    Kev
    Aye,tough decision?.
    Indeed they could be a job for the Philmeister though one day if Dave decides on a resto? To restore or not to restore??,that is the question!

best

waff

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    Dave
    Having seen the full picture now, I personally would leave them be. They have original paint on them and with a clean would look very nice indeed. Battle damage is good!!! I'd give them a home in my collection any day!!

Cheers Kev
    I agree also, leave them be, looks like impact damage to me, also looks like never functioned as there is no blast damage. What is the number on the fuze ?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismosonic View Post
    I agree also, leave them be, looks like impact damage to me, also looks like never functioned as there is no blast damage. What is the number on the fuze ?
    Hi Nismosonic, the number on the fuze is 67.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/daves-67-fuze-t64837.html

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SG500 View Post
    Hi Nismosonic, the number on the fuze is 67.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/daves-67-fuze-t64837.html

Dave.
    I personally would leave the battle scars intact, its a part of its history, the arming rod is bent also, this has to be impact damage, look at my SD2, even has simmilar markings on the drogue mine being 3 instead of 10.
    see 3rd pic on my post at http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/got-sd...ay-t61327.html

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast