What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deformed butterfly bomb wings.

SG500

Premium Member
A couple of queries here.
Attached are some close up photos of the wings of a butterfly bomb. Parts of the wings are flattened.
This is the second set I've had that are damaged in exactly the same way.
Is it caused but the bomb going off or when it impacts the ground?
Also
What's the best way of straightening them, or is it best left well alone?
Dave.

Attachments

• Deformed wings 001.jpg
    Deformed wings 001.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Deformed wings 002.jpg
    Deformed wings 002.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Deformed wings 003.jpg
    Deformed wings 003.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 59
A couple of queries here.
Attached are some close up photos of the wings of a butterfly bomb. Parts of the wings are flattened.
This is the second set I've had that are damaged in exactly the same way.
Is it caused but the bomb going off or when it impacts the ground?
Also
What's the best way of straightening them, or is it best left well alone?
Dave.

Hi Dave
Most of the damaged happened by the wings opening up and flatening out on each other.
They just simply colide with such force and get sqaushed in the same places.

I have several drifts that have been altered to re shape most of the ribbing
on the wings,i was going to say dollys but that may be mis read:xd:

Time and plenty of tapping would get that lot out.

Best phil

OK I'll tap away now I know the wings will take it, thanks Phil.

Dave.

Dave,

You have posed an interesting question. Not being able to see the complete assembly, it is hard to guess. One theory would be that if they were deformed by detonation, the concussion of the blast would blow them towards each other, slapping them together. If that was the case, I would also expect them to have holes through them from fragments, but I have no data regarding how an SD2 body fragments. I would also wonder why the detonation woulcxzasdfgfdsad not tear them loose from their hinge points and ruin the springs.

Dave,

You have posed an interesting question. Not being able to see the complete assembly, it is hard to guess. One theory would be that if they were deformed by detonation, the concussion of the blast would blow them towards each other, slapping them together. If that was the case, I would also expect them to have holes through them from fragments, but I have no data regarding how an SD2 body fragments. I would also wonder why the detonation woulcxzasdfgfdsad not tear them loose from their hinge points and ruin the springs.

Hi John, no there's no holes in the wings, they're just flattened.
I suppose if the wings are open anyway then the blast would just open them further blowing them into each other, pure speculation though.........has anyone out there got any footage of a butterfly bomb expolding in slow motion? Don't suppose so, perhaps one of you EOD guys would oblige (not with one of mine though!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t).
Dave.

Dave, any chance of a photo of the complete wing unit, as like Hazord as already mentioned it is difficult to assess from the close up shots.
From what you have posted they look in quite good condition the only damage being, as you say, done at the time. Personally I might be tempted to leave them be, unless you suspect the damage was done later in its life. The full wing shots to show the the extent of the damage would be good.
As everything though, at the end of the day it is personal choice.
cheers
Kev

Open wings

Photos of wings as requested.
These'll be getting some cleaning treatment sometime over the next week or so.
Dave.

Attachments

• Deformed wings more 009.jpg
    Deformed wings more 009.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Deformed wings more 007.jpg
    Deformed wings more 007.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Deformed wings more 006.jpg
    Deformed wings more 006.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Deformed wings more 003.jpg
    Deformed wings more 003.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 67
  • Deformed wings more 002.jpg
    Deformed wings more 002.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 55
Closed wings

Some more - closed plus a one of the stampings.

Attachments

• Deformed wings more 011.jpg
    Deformed wings more 011.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 45
  • Deformed wings more 010.jpg
    Deformed wings more 010.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Deformed wings more 008.jpg
    Deformed wings more 008.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Deformed wings more 005.jpg
    Deformed wings more 005.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Deformed wings more 001.jpg
    Deformed wings more 001.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 41
Dave
Having seen the full picture now, I personally would leave them be. They have original paint on them and with a clean would look very nice indeed. Battle damage is good!!! I'd give them a home in my collection any day!!

Cheers Kev

OK I can live with that too, makes life easier.
Now for the rust dip.........wonderful stuff!
Dave.

If you really want to return them to their former glory, a body hammer with corresponding dolly, and anvil and possibly fabricate a striking anvil with the general cradling as on your butterfly ridges. The right tools can go a long way and lots of patience as well. Not so easy to explain but i've been around speciality tools (many fabricated myself) all my life. All depends on your expectations with end result. I would not even do any leading or body filler on these as a little roughness in the end would only tend to give it some character. If you watch some of Phils step by step procedures on his restoration projects you can't help but pick up a tip or two as that man absolutely is a master of the trade. Sometimes you just have to look at your job and visualize in your mind, now what type of tool or apparatus would be of help in this particular application and make something to suffice. With all that said, nice find Dave and good luck in which ever road you choose to travel in the end. Aside from Phil, there are several individuals in this forum who are very creative with their respective restoration projects just too many to mention, I chose Phil to mention because of his uncanny knack to take you through his projects step by step. I generally will take my time and try to do a cracking job if I start with a nicer piece, but on the other hand if I start with a relic and want it to end up still looking like a relic then I am much less discriminating on my methodology. All depends on what you expect from the finished product....Guess that was a mouthful!! Dano

Wow, yep, got all that Dano, thanks for the advice.
I think I'm going to try a sympathetic gentle clean for now and see how they turn out.
Dave.

If you really want to return them to their former glory, a body hammer with corresponding dolly, and anvil and possibly fabricate a striking anvil with the general cradling as on your butterfly ridges. The right tools can go a long way and lots of patience as well. Not so easy to explain but i've been around speciality tools (many fabricated myself) all my life. All depends on your expectations with end result. I would not even do any leading or body filler on these as a little roughness in the end would only tend to give it some character. If you watch some of Phils step by step procedures on his restoration projects you can't help but pick up a tip or two as that man absolutely is a master of the trade. Sometimes you just have to look at your job and visualize in your mind, now what type of tool or apparatus would be of help in this particular application and make something to suffice. With all that said, nice find Dave and good luck in which ever road you choose to travel in the end. Aside from Phil, there are several individuals in this forum who are very creative with their respective restoration projects just too many to mention, I chose Phil to mention because of his uncanny knack to take you through his projects step by step. I generally will take my time and try to do a cracking job if I start with a nicer piece, but on the other hand if I start with a relic and want it to end up still looking like a relic then I am much less discriminating on my methodology. All depends on what you expect from the finished product....Guess that was a mouthful!! Dano

Kind words again Dano:smile:
And i must admit i would whole heartily agree with what you say.

I have a relic assembely which realy is a relic but holds 70% of its original paint and is battered and split almost beyond repair.
To restore it would ruin it as its interest lies in the relic form,but Daves wings however are prety sharp in the metalwork department and even with the squashed bits there realy isnt that much interest generated by what little damage it has,in fact i would think most people would prefere to see it back to its former glory and having said that it would make a cracking
example:smile:

Go on Dave you know you want to

Best phil

Hummmmmmmm........what is it they say........"I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!!".............now my minds completely confused!! Think I'll have to do some practice on a relic wing I have spare and see how the metal forming goes before bashing this one.
Dave.

I will stick with my opinion on keeping them as is. They can always be renovated at a later date and certainly are not going to get any worse within your collection.
However if you decide to renovate I think Phil is your man- he has the tools and knowledge to raise items from beyond. I'm sure also with his guidence you will achieve something great.
At the end of the day you would end up with a set looking like the rest on your shelf- this set is different, they have hit a roof or the likes, its history! I think you would take that away from the piece by restoring it to its former glory. I have seen part burned incendiarys, full of chararcter, you could blast them and fill them but then its just another of the masses??
Again its personal choice, what is one mans meat is another mans poison.
At the end of the day they are in great condition- great find Dave.

Only my opinion!!
cheers
Kev

I will stick with my opinion on keeping them as is. They can always be renovated at a later date and certainly are not going to get any worse within your collection.
However if you decide to renovate I think Phil is your man- he has the tools and knowledge to raise items from beyond. I'm sure also with his guidence you will achieve something great.
At the end of the day you would end up with a set looking like the rest on your shelf- this set is different, they have hit a roof or the likes, its history! I think you would take that away from the piece by restoring it to its former glory. I have seen part burned incendiarys, full of chararcter, you could blast them and fill them but then its just another of the masses??
Again its personal choice, what is one mans meat is another mans poison.
At the end of the day they are in great condition- great find Dave.

Only my opinion!!
cheers
Kev

Aye,tough decision?.:eek:oh:
Indeed they could be a job for the Philmeister though one day if Dave decides on a resto? To restore or not to restore??,that is the question!

best

waff

Dave
Having seen the full picture now, I personally would leave them be. They have original paint on them and with a clean would look very nice indeed. Battle damage is good!!! I'd give them a home in my collection any day!!

Cheers Kev

I agree also, leave them be, looks like impact damage to me, also looks like never functioned as there is no blast damage. What is the number on the fuze ?