What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deformed butterfly bomb wings.

Thanks to lots of advice from you guys I've chickened out of going all the way and hammering out the dents and so have done the following:-

Dipped the wings in Hammerite rust remover for 24 hours.
Used an old tooth brush on the wings to brush off the residue.
Dried them (make sure you put them on top of something warm like a radiator, to make sure they dry FAST).
LIGHT wire wooling then oil all over.

The fuze has been carefully clearned.
A clip added (Pinched off a spare 41)
A safety wire/pin thing added (pinched off a spare 41)
A screw added in the side (pinched off a spare 41 also!!)

Now its reunited with a bomb casing...........jobs a good un - there's a lot of the original paint on these ones.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Dave.

Nice results there Dave
Looks to be held in a good state of limbo minus the rust and leaves it open for any kind of work should you desire in the future.

Spare part arrived safely thanks mate.

Best phil

Thanks Phil & glad the part arrived. Look forward to seeing the reconstruction.
Dave.

Thanks to lots of advice from you guys I've chickened out of going all the way and hammering out the dents and so have done the following:-

Dipped the wings in Hammerite rust remover for 24 hours.
Used an old tooth brush on the wings to brush off the residue.
Dried them (make sure you put them on top of something warm like a radiator, to make sure they dry FAST).
LIGHT wire wooling then oil all over.

The fuze has been carefully clearned.
A clip added (Pinched off a spare 41)
A safety wire/pin thing added (pinched off a spare 41)
A screw added in the side (pinched off a spare 41 also!!)

Now its reunited with a bomb casing...........jobs a good un - there's a lot of the original paint on these ones.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Dave.

I'm glad you left the damage on the wings Dave, definitely gives the bomb more of a sinister look (as it should be).

Love this one Dave.