What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deformed butterfly bomb wings.

Yes I saw you posting previously, very nice indeed and a hell of a fuze to start off with, that's one I'm still trying to find.
I'm assuming this one didn't go off - the fuze seems original to the arming wire (I've had no joy so far unscrewing it anyway).
Dave.

I agree also, leave them be, looks like impact damage to me, also looks like never functioned as there is no blast damage. What is the number on the fuze ? Nismosonic

I think Nismosonic could be right in that they never functioned.

I have taken another look at the photos and think it could be possible that these were from an unopened container, looking at the damage it could be caused by an unopened AB 23 impacting hard on the ground, the contents of which would be damaged. Those wings look as though they have been squashed flat; between steel cannister and bomb body, maybe? There were a proportion of failures. All guesswork though!

regards Kev

Yes I saw you posting previously, very nice indeed and a hell of a fuze to start off with, that's one I'm still trying to find.
I'm assuming this one didn't go off - the fuze seems original to the arming wire (I've had no joy so far unscrewing it anyway).
Dave.

Looks all original in the photos.. If it was mine i would clean it with some WD40 and then leave it with a light covering of 3 in one, prevents further corrossion and brings out the paint. Just attach a body to the fuze and it will be a cracking example.
Personally I wouldnt want it restored, it would have lost its personality. (each to his own of course)
Im pretty sure it never exploded, the wings cant hit each other without a lot of bemding going on, if exploded the wings and drouges tend to be holed, and a lot more damage is evident, and the fuze would be quite badly damaged at least!. Lovely example, and a right lovely fuze also. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Last edited:

I have taken another look at the photos and think it could be possible that these were from an unopened container, looking at the damage it could be caused by an unopened AB 23 impacting hard on the ground, the contents of which would be damaged. Those wings look as though they have been squashed flat; between steel cannister and bomb body, maybe? There were a proportion of failures. All guesswork though!

regards Kev

MK500 Boden container contained 6 SD2's in a small forward container, these failed to spill there wares on many occasions. see http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/mk500.html

OK point taken guys, I'm definitely NOT going to straighten anything on it..........yet. Its going to get dipped in a magic potion this weekend that'll get rid of the rust and leave the paint in place, cleaning the paint in the process. Will post some photos on Sunday.
Dave.

Excellent thread gents! :)
Im amazed nowadays just how many of us German ord-fans exist

cheers

waff[/QUOTE

i used to collect Mills mainly.. i only have a representative example of each type now, the German stuff is now very much in the front seat.. and these sd2's... lovely! seems like ive caught that bug!
I MAY have a lead on another with a 67 fuze.. watch this space soon! :tinysmile_shy_t:

Thanks to lots of advice from you guys I've chickened out of going all the way and hammering out the dents and so have done the following:-

Dipped the wings in Hammerite rust remover for 24 hours.
Used an old tooth brush on the wings to brush off the residue.
Dried them (make sure you put them on top of something warm like a radiator, to make sure they dry FAST).
LIGHT wire wooling then oil all over.

The fuze has been carefully clearned.
A clip added (Pinched off a spare 41)
A safety wire/pin thing added (pinched off a spare 41)
A screw added in the side (pinched off a spare 41 also!!)

Now its reunited with a bomb casing...........jobs a good un - there's a lot of the original paint on these ones.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Dave.

Attachments

• 12 Dec 09 012.jpg
    12 Dec 09 012.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 12 Dec 09 013.jpg
    12 Dec 09 013.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 12 Dec 09 010.jpg
    12 Dec 09 010.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 12 Dec 09 011.jpg
    12 Dec 09 011.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 12 Dec 09 009.jpg
    12 Dec 09 009.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 65
Just a couple of photos of the fuze.
Dave.

Attachments

• 12 Dec 09 006.jpg
    12 Dec 09 006.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 12 Dec 09 007.jpg
    12 Dec 09 007.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 27
Thanks to lots of advice from you guys I've chickened out of going all the way and hammering out the dents and so have done the following:-
....................."

RESULT Dave!!!!
They look like a different pair of wings altogether, shows what a bit of sympathetic restoration can acheive. You have retained their history and would look good in any showcase! (mine included !!!!) ha ha.
and (because opinions will always vary)......if ever you did decide to go down the road of hammering and panel beating- well you have retained that option too!!
great show Dave
regards
Kev

regards Kev

I think you're right Kev, the more I worked on these the more it looked like one butterfly bomb had been squashed up against another, the end parts of the main wings in particular look that way. All guesswork but probably right.
Dave.

Lokking great Dave,
I do like the angled photo's .

best
waff

Thanks Waff, its hard to know which way to take the photos, its not like photographing a shell where its straight! The red background works well though.
Dave.

RESULT Dave!!!!
They look like a different pair of wings altogether, shows what a bit of sympathetic restoration can acheive. You have retained their history and would look good in any showcase! (mine included !!!!) ha ha.
and (because opinions will always vary)......if ever you did decide to go down the road of hammering and panel beating- well you have retained that option too!!
great show Dave
regards
Kev

Thanks Kev, no I've decided now these are staying as they are.......and as another complete butterfly with decent (as in not bent) wings is arriving by sleigh soon there's no point in bending this one.
Dave.

Thanks Kev, no I've decided now these are staying as they are.......and as another complete butterfly with decent (as in not bent) wings is arriving by sleigh soon there's no point in bending this one.
Dave.

That man in the red suit is a real gent !!!!! Ho Ho Ho !
maybe I ought to send him my 'wish list' too. lol !!

cheers
Kev

Great job Dave, just caught back up to this thread, with that method you appear to get the best of both worlds. You get a nice clean realistic looking (cause it's real) piece that would display proudly in any collection....Dano

A very simple and beautiful restoration! I think the slightly bent wings give it character. I prefer pieces that look like they have 'been there' compared to mint from the factory. Excellent results.

Congrats,
Alan

Thanks Guys, I have to say I've never been that keen on relic pieces much preferring the mint ones BUT this one really got me thinking, now the rust is all off it it looks like it landed recently so it has the battle scars but its still in reasonable condition.
Dave.

I think it looks great.. are you pleased now that you didnt hammer the dents out ? I would be.. has much more character like that.. makes it unique, theres a few sd 2s around.. but yours is the only one in the world like that! well done.

Thanks Nismosonic you were right, it was worth them being restored rather than being bent back into shape.......but then I've a feeling Santas going to be a really good man this year...........it'll be a butterfly Christmas here in Wales.........so I don't mind the odd set of battle damaged wings.....watch this space :tinysmile_fatgrin_t