What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20/14 x 128/R Gerlich case

SG500

Premium Member
I got this little beauty today, quite hard to come by.
Its a case for French experimental Gerlich round dating from about 1938.
So........if anyone happens to come across a spare projectile I'd be interested in hearing from you.
Also, if anyone has any more information about it please let me know.
Case dimension are 128mm long and the base is 35mm across.
INERT and empty.
Ta,
Dave.

Attachments

• 14 Dec 09 002.jpg
    14 Dec 09 002.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 14 Dec 09 003.jpg
    14 Dec 09 003.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 14 Dec 09 001.jpg
    14 Dec 09 001.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 137
Gerlich

Dave
That is very nice. All Gerlich cartridges are rare and a French experimental even more so!
Stegmuller in his book on Gerlich suggests only one case for the 20/14 exists!! He also says that it is based on the 25mm Rimless flak case 34.9mm case and rim from his drawing. Headstamp as yours. Another bit suggests that the work may have been done in conjunction with Schulz & Larsen. Also a reference to patents of AS Ultra. Great find.
Sandy

Dave
That is very nice. All Gerlich cartridges are rare and a French experimental even more so!
Stegmuller in his book on Gerlich suggests only one case for the 20/14 exists!! He also says that it is based on the 25mm Rimless flak case 34.9mm case and rim from his drawing. Headstamp as yours. Another bit suggests that the work may have been done in conjunction with Schulz & Larsen. Also a reference to patents of AS Ultra. Great find.
Sandy

Hi Dave,
Not in my collecting field, but do appreciate the rareity of the experimental rounds. Thanks for showing.
I have a question for you in respect of the case shown. If as Sandy is suggesting above there is only one case in existance, which I assume then to be the one in your possesion, then how do you hope to find a projectile? Or is it just the case that is rare and the projectiles were used in other rounds?
Cheers
Kev

Dave
Sandy

Thanks Sandy, yes I have the Stegmuller book. The case came from a very very large collection in the states and this was the spare suggesting there are at least 2. As far as I (and the well informed owner of the large American collection) am aware nobody has any of the projectiles (I'm assuming the line drawing is either from a design drawing or perhaps to show what it may have looked like, don't know). I'm hoping someone on the forum may have some more information about it.
Dave.

Hi Dave,
Not in my collecting field, but do appreciate the rareity of the experimental rounds. Thanks for showing.
I have a question for you in respect of the case shown. If as Sandy is suggesting above there is only one case in existance, which I assume then to be the one in your possesion, then how do you hope to find a projectile? Or is it just the case that is rare and the projectiles were used in other rounds?
Cheers
Kev

Thanks Kev. Specimens of the projectiles are unknown as far as I know.......but you never know what may turn up.
Dave.

Drawing

SG500,

Very crudely cleaned up drawing to show projectile only. Very faint hope but you could just be very lucky!!

Sandy

Attachments

• Taper bore-4.jpg
    Taper bore-4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 39
Thanks Sandy, very nice. If I ever found one of those that would be very good indeed.
Dave.

Hey,

Projo quite looks like a 28/20 PzGr 41 to me. Wouldn't at all be surprised iff this piece of the drawing was indeed just added to show what things might have looked like.

pzgr40/42, hard to say but the initial design of Gerlich as he developed and patented it in his late time in Denmark looked exactly like this. It was basically also the so called 29/20 Schultz&Larsen which had the same projectile diameter as the 28/20 (what is basically unknown to researchers out there).
After Gerlich's death all his research was sold to France and it is also known that France had detailed info on these projectiles.
So it would be plausible if this shown one above was in fact used for tests in France as well.

Last edited: