What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian 45mm AT gun

Merlin

A bit of background first: I am part of a group that plans and coordinates realistic war games (usually airsoft based) with the US military. When I was told someone would be bringing an artillery simulator I thought, "Ok, we'll have some concussion pots and steel pipes welded together." I was not expecting Igor Dobroff, a VDV veteran from the Soviet-Afghanistan war, to bring his original 45mm Anti-Tank gun. His stories are interesting.

It was heavily influenced by the Pak37 and shares many of the features, like a folding shield to lower the profile. A curious difference is that the breech action moves vertical on the Russian gun and horizontal on the Pak37. Supposedly the Soviets chose a 45 mm bore so that captured German guns could be rechambered. The gun crews were considered dead men since armour penetration was inadequate and the Germans singled out AT units. They did not tolerate their pretty paint jobs getting scuffed up.

This particular gun was captured by the Finnish. All parts are numbered and matching except the shield, which is a year older. The undercarriage gives clues why, as it is heavily scarred by machine gun fire. The original shield must have been severely perforated so the Finns replaced it after capture.

cannon6.jpg

cannon5.jpg

cannon4.jpg

cannon3.jpg

Credit for the photos goes to the GP photographer.

Thats a really nice piece, and with visible history ,,did you get to see it fired or is this veteran now retired

This piece is fully functional, much to the consternation of our BATF, but it's not quite illegal enough to be confiscated. The carriage/gun is dated 1939 and the shield is dated 1938. The sound of each shot echoing through the foggy hills was really something to behold. We are experimenting with flash powder charges since black powder is becoming difficult to obtain legally. I'll get some shots of that at the next event. This is the finest example of the first model 45mm AT gun I have ever seen or heard of.

It is morbidly amusing that the gun was ineffective in Russian service but quite effective against them after it's capture.

Excellent pictures and many thanks also for taking the time to post the story that goes with the gun :top:.

Does the recoil mechanism work when it is fired?

Any pictures of it firing (if possible) would be much appreciated and even some of the shell cases used for it.

Regards
SG

Thanks for the positive response.

Igor uses home-made blank cartridges. A standard shotshell primer fits in the base. Anything made from real shells is strictly illegal and would result in this gun being permanently disabled:tinysmile_cry_t4: My state (California) does not allow anything real over 0.5in calibre.

A large blackpowder charge will move the recoil mechanism but it makes me nervous; the barrel and breach were harshly de-milled during importation and had to be welded back together. We fired at least twenty times that day so someone must have a good photo or film of the gun in action. It will be posted as soon as it is found.

Last edited:
As promised:
[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6644231942618952127"]OP: Lion Claws 7 - Igor Fires his 45MM[/ame]
[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3584923650656609186"]OP: Lion Claws 7 - Igor Demonstrates his 45MM[/ame]

Many thanks once again Merlin :adore:, all excellent info and watching the videos just makes me green with envy.

Who gets the fun job of the cleaning after the black powder charges :vroam: ?

Regards
SG

Great pics and video. I believe the optic sight that would have gone with it is the 45mm version of the Russian ПП-1 optical sight..not sure if any iron sight attachment was issued. It fits right onto the horizontal tube extension that is just below the shield window and perched atop the arched arm assembly on the left hand side of the carriage.

I'll keep an eye out for one of those, though I expect it will not be an easy thing to find. The original sight is long gone. Probably from the same MG that ruined the original shield.

As for cleaning the gun, it's not my job and that's good enough!

I'll keep an eye out for one of those, though I expect it will not be an easy thing to find. The original sight is long gone. Probably from the same MG that ruined the original shield.

Yeah, they're pretty tough to find the wartime marked/dated examples, but some of the later ones (late 40s/early 50s) are floating around sometimes. I have pictures, copies of manuals of these examples if you need, let me know. :nerd:

The sight has a series of worm screw mechanisms on back and front for adjusting the graticule scale for elevation, range and deflection which would cause the sight picture to raise, lower, side, etc., then you operate your carriage trunnion wheels to bring the graticule in the sight picture back on the target you select, assuming you had it zeroed/calibrated correctly beforehand.

Last edited:
It was heavily influenced by the Pak37 and shares many of the features, like a folding shield to lower the profile. A curious difference is that the breech action moves vertical on the Russian gun and horizontal on the Pak37.

cannon3.jpg

Great Thread Merlin ! That Vertical Breech reminds me of my Australian 2Pdr ..same action . at least --it use to be . I had to re-weld the Breech to make sure it would never move again. Wish there was a way I could have rigged mine to fire Blanks as well.

Attachments

• DSC00264.JPG
    DSC00264.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2pdrbr.jpg
    2pdrbr.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 20