What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18pounder practice shell

18pounder

Hello all

received this today from the postman.

Its a 18pdr shrapnell shell painted as practice.

I did toy with the idea of repainting it as a shrapnell shell,but its a good paint job and i think it looks great.
so i will leave it as it is.

Hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

Maybe someone can explain all the markings?

Projectile markings
E
CK 270
X11
18PDR
VSM
19 08 18
E

Case Markings

ERY
18PR 11
A
CSF.F
C
T
Q
G
S
K

thanks gentleman

Doug
aka 18pounder

Attachments

• 18pounder practice 004.jpg
    18pounder practice 004.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 18pounder practice 003.jpg
    18pounder practice 003.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 18pounder practice 002.jpg
    18pounder practice 002.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 71
  • 18pounder practice 001.jpg
    18pounder practice 001.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 126
18PR II - self explanatory
A. - The case has been annealed after firing
E (at 3 O'clock) this I think is a poorly struck EOC, which would make the manufacturers of the case as Armstrong Whitworth, Birtley Factory, Durham. The various small stamps around it are factory stamps.
CFF - This is the case life, the case has been filled twice with cordite or non blackpowder propellant.
S. - The case has been subjected to and passed scleroscope test (hardness testing)
ERY - North Eastern Railway (Chief Mechanical Engineer's Office) Darlington. They also manufactured cases but the presence of their mark here, more than likrly denotes that they have carried out some post manufacture work on the cases e.g. annealing it.
B - on the primer, there are two candidates for the manufacture. First is
Birmingham Metal & Munitions, the other being C. Bray & Co. Leeds

Regards

TimG

awesome

Hi Doug, I have to totally agree with you on leaving it as is. That is one beautiful shell. Congratulations....Dano

Thanks all

i have never seen such a shell and it is beautifully painted,so i wont touch it.
Think it was a good buy.

Wonder if anyone has any pictures of practice 18pdrs,they must be some more of these practice shells about somewhere??

regards

Very nice shell, fired but in otherwise perfect condition. I also think the paint job is so good that I'd leave it.

Very nice shell, fired but in otherwise perfect condition. I also think the paint job is so good that I'd leave it.

thanks mate,i love it.
do you know of any other early shells like this?
was the white band a typical british ww1 marking?
and was this white band applied to grenades also?

ooooooo questions questions