What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alginate impression material

18pounder

Hello all
this might be of use to some one trying to replicate something needed for retoration if a part is difficult to find.

The material is called Alginate,its the same stuff dentists use to make impressions and is used in special effects work to make a negative cast of a persons face.

What i really like about this stuff is it sets in minutes,and picks up minute details of the original.
You mix it with warm or cold water.(depending how fast you want it to set)
it comes as a powder
It will make a mould of literally anything.

You could take a mould of a part part made from plasticene or clay,and when you have your mould you could use resin or other material to create a hard permanent solid replica.

Well thats some more useless information for you,i used it and it works great!

Hi 18 pounder, I've used it and can attest that it works great. Dano

thats great dano,what did you use it on? was it something ordnace related?

or was you taking a mould of something very personal?!!!!:xd: ha ha

Actually used it to repair antique glass threadless telegraph insulators. They are very rare and valuable, and repaired broken ones would still command big dollars. Would make a mold, and fill the missing glass with casting resin, which worked quite well...Dano