What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke grenades

US-Subs,

That M6 Oil Body is great!

Also I have a container for a "Pot, Smoke, Oil, Training E21R2" however have never seen a body or reference. Does anyone know if the E21R2 was the "Pre" M6 or something different?

Stay safe,

Frank

Found a reference that says the E21R3 became the M6, used for damage control exercises and related training.

Does anyone knows something on this M18?

It arrived today from the US, and i was told that it was a grenade that has been used for display purposes by the manufacturer.

Could this be correct, as i've never seen markings like these on a M18 before.

Attachments

• M-18_Red_5.jpg
    M-18_Red_5.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 40
  • M-18_Red_6.jpg
    M-18_Red_6.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 35
  • M-18_Red_1.jpg
    M-18_Red_1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 66
Kilgore made a lot of stuff, but as I recall most was police type and designs trying to make it into the military market. Don't know if they ever actually did anything for a military contract. EODGUY did quite a bit with grenades through that timeframe and may know better.

I can't say for sure that Kilgore ever made smoke grenades for the government, but they are listed in the 1 Jan 73 edition of manufacturer's codes for makers of government material. That means they made something for government work and it very well could have been smoke grenades since they were experienced in that field. Interesting that the E21R3 became the M6. NAVSEA S050-AB-MMA-010, Pyrotechnic, Screening, Marking and Countermeasure Devices says that the M6 was previously called the SGF2 Oil Smoke Candle M6. If that is the case was the E21R3 what lead to the Oil Smoke Candle, which lead to the M6 Smoke or is the manual wrong??? Also glad to see Inertordnance's Federal Labs board. I have an identical one and always wondered how many more were out there. I have most of the grenades shown in previous posts on this thread but I have attached one I have not seen. The right hand grenade in the photo is one I have had for years.

Attachments

• Grenades 17.jpg
    Grenades 17.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 58
In the 1950/60s a company called Civil Protection (1946) Ltd marketed Federal products to the UK Police Forces. Herewith a photograph of a few products in British commercial livery.

Attachments

• CP(1946).jpg
    CP(1946).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 55
Also glad to see Inertordnance's Federal Labs board. I have an identical one and always wondered how many more were out there.

Eodguy,

I am aware of an additional Federal Labs Board currently in a private collection in Wisconsin. Also one currently in a Police Department in Ohio. Yours and mine makes 4 total that I am aware of to date.

My board came from the Former Lake Erie Chemical Company in Rock Creek, Ohio. Evidently their laboratory division had originally obtained it through an order fronted by a local police department, for purposes of studying Federal Labs Designs.

Stay safe,

Frank

Wonder if Federal Labs sold the boards or if they were give aways. I figured that there were a lot more around. Mine was a find in a dusty corner of an antique shop. The owner tucked it away as far as he could because he didn't want customers to think he had "dangerous" things in his shop. I was more than happy to make his customers happy for the $5.00 he wanted for it.

Wonder if Federal Labs sold the boards or if they were give aways. I figured that there were a lot more around. Mine was a find in a dusty corner of an antique shop. The owner tucked it away as far as he could because he didn't want customers to think he had "dangerous" things in his shop. I was more than happy to make his customers happy for the $5.00 he wanted for it.

$5.00, Man did he see you comming :wink: !!!

I am not sure, however believe that they were probably sold as instruction training aids or possibly given to large agencies who used Federal Laboratories Products Exclusively. Competition between Federal and LECCO was stiff from the early days (Like The Old S&W / Colt Debate). In the late 1990's I called Federal Laboratories to inquire about these cutaway boards and was advised that no one employed at that time could recall any information in relation to era(s) of manufacture. I have yet to find a Federal Labs Catalog that shows one. I am guessing from the models displayed on my board it is possibly from the 1960's???

I have always believe that these types of Police Munitions make a great collection and have been underrated as far as collectables.

Here are some additional Federal Labs. Factory Supplied Inert's circa 1930's - 1970's that I have assembled over the years, I still have some additional ones that have not been photographed yet ................

Attachments

• Federal 002.jpg
    Federal 002.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Federal 003.jpg
    Federal 003.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Federal 006.jpg
    Federal 006.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Federal 007.jpg
    Federal 007.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Federal 009.jpg
    Federal 009.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 48
I thank the BOCN members for this great reference on Smoke Grenades, all before I had a computer. Great reference. Great reading.
I have posted Smoke grenades on other posts.

This may be the last Fed Lab inert board. 1994. I looked in old catalogs. They were not in catalogs but listed on price sheets some years. They did not sell to individuals unless used in training and with references.

They were pretty expensive so 5 bucks is fair. Lol. 82 and 88 listed as $375. 1994 listed as $400. 94 is after being merged with MSI. Mace canisters were attached as well as Ferrets with AAI markings. I think even though listed, they were made as needed. Someone here may have worked there and can say for sure. Display boards do not have the 2 training rounds attached. 240 and P112 L.

Police Supply companies and training units sometimes had theses boards.

I hope this helps.

20160718_195618.jpg

I read these post in more detail today. Nice to see so many variations.

Here is something I wrote previously on HC.

"Hexachloroethane was mixed with Zinc oxide along with other things. Metal fume fever we call the damage. Welding galvanized metal can also cause it.

I would not breath any smoke compound if I can avoid it."

Many compounds have been used in smoke devices. At least one company has tried to make theirs less toxic but still, try not to inhale any of them.

I did not see the federal lab board from 1980s so I'll add a pic.
20201019_171927.jpg

Some South African smokes. (Inert, empty, FFE)

Attachments

• 92A5C70F-C07D-4EEE-A9CA-1949B8CAE698.jpg
    92A5C70F-C07D-4EEE-A9CA-1949B8CAE698.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 36
Some Danish Smoke bombs.
Smokebomb_M37.jpg
M37
Smokebomb M37.jpg
M57
455 gram. Content 270 gram Phosfor.
Smokebomb M57 Ignited.jpg
M57 ignited.

Smokebomb_M77.jpg
M77
M77_Smoke_30 seconds after ignition.jpg
M77 30 seconds after ignition.
600 gram. Content Hexit.
Smokebomb_M93.jpg
M93
Smokebomb_M93_30 seconds after ignition.jpg
M93 30 seconds after ignition.
Charge 490 gram. Content 5% Kaliumperchlorat, 8% Magnesium, 44% Kaliumklorid, 27% Kaliumnitrat, 16% Azo-dicarbonamid.