What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

".303" Browning disintegrating links?

ramc181

I picked up a bag of 500 Browning links a while back labelled as being for .303 British ammunition.
I was sorting them out last night ready to start linking a couple of belts up when I noticed I had at least two distinct types:

Parkerised, marked DAQ
Blued, marked BP BII

Are either of them proper .303 links?

While I'm at it, I've been cleaning up my .50 BMG links I fished out of a dustbin at Beltring a couple of years ago. Thank you to the German re-enactors who were using .50 cal blank through their 20mm AA cannon.
grin.gif

They are all marked DS B2, which I'm guessing are British made M9 pattern links.

[anorak] I'd love to make my .50 cal belts up with correct WWII-spec M2 links but they are a tad rare and pricey these days. [/anorak]

All the best,
PB

links

The DAQ links are Browning Mark II links made by Dominion Arsenal Quebec, and so are "proper" Browning links. Those marked BP BII are made by British Pens and are also Mark II Browning links.

I will have to check who DS are for the British .50 Mark II Links.

Regards
TonyE

.30 or .303 links

I also have DAQ marked parkerised links which are from .30 cal blanks made in the mid sixties. They can be made up with .303 cases into belts but they are a tad on the loose side. The links are slightly different in construction to British made .303 links but unfortunately haven't sorted out posting pictures to illustrate the difference.

Hangarman

I also have DAQ marked parkerised links which are from .30 cal blanks made in the mid sixties. They can be made up with .303 cases into belts but they are a tad on the loose side. The links are slightly different in construction to British made .303 links but unfortunately haven't sorted out posting pictures to illustrate the difference.

Hangarman

You're spot on saying the DAQ links are a bit loose with .303.
They are folded back on themselves to form the loops, whereas the British Pens links are a smooth S-shape and much tighter on the cartridges.

All the best,
PB