What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petard grenades

Hey Dano,
You did not offend me, it is just that I knew I had one of your petards, and I had really not thought about it being a fake/repro as it really looked good, at least now you know that you did not get suckered on it.
I have been very niave in collecting grenades, I thought I could get by with one German stick grenade, one petard and a single Mills, and don't get me started on rod grenades, this is going to be very expensive, and I blame all you for my pain. Ignorance is bliss, but I would rather be in pain.
Best wishes
Gus

Hi Gus.
I put ??? next to the pic as i was wondering why they had white paint.
Hopefully someone may know why. The paint is also on the bickford fuze on the other side of the block. Maybe it was a sealing paste or was to show that the block had a fuze fitted.
Cheers, Paul.
Hey Paul,
My first thought was a sealing agent.
This has been a great thread, very educational, thanks
Gus

I thought I wanted a 3rd army French petard to once again adorn my collection. I'm not so sure anymore. I mean I think they are a mondo cool grenade and all but seems to be more repros than not. I guess the way to go about is to make sure you get one cheap enough where it wouldn't really matter? I REALLY want to reacquire the 2 charge unit as I'm not sure there are any fakes of this one and it is a "double cool" grenade. I have some repros in my collection as fillers, even some resin cast that fill a void until a reasonable original comes along. So with that said I really believe there is a place for repros in our hobby as long as not for the purpose of deception. I think I could make a "reasonably accurate" 3rd army petard from scratch and scrap, which I may just do. I have a resin cast US MK1 that is a pretty good display piece until a reasonably priced MK1 original flys in my lap. Just what are you saying here Dan? After proof reading it I see a whole bunch of nothing. Have a glorious day and may the ordnance fairy leave something under your pillow tonight. Dano out...Dano

The rare LITTLE German petard

This is a pic of small German petard grenade I made, and next to that is drawing of same from Delhomme book. I have never seen a real one except in the book Bulgarian and German Hand Grenades there is an actual picture and it held a standard 200 gr. charge. Anybody ever seen one? They must be rare as hens teeth, but anyway I got drunk one day and made this totally unreasonable facsimile...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 412.jpg
    Picture 412.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Picture 393.jpg
    Picture 393.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 23
you did that when you were drunk ,id like to see one from when your sober look good..i cant see too clearly but is that a light the fuze and throw ,or did it have a different igniter

you did that when you were drunk ,id like to see one from when your sober look good..i cant see too clearly but is that a light the fuze and throw ,or did it have a different igniter
Yes Allen, light the fuze and throw, where as the bigger German box petard used an igniter setup. I've only seen 1 picture of the small German petard so I know it existed. I have yet to see a real one in person (well person to grenade??) I ordered one 2 years ago (i'll not mention the name of the outfit) that was advertised as the small German petard 100.00. Well needless to say I jumped all over that one, but much to my chagrin they sent me a French 3rd army petard, and even less needless to say I sent it back. RATS...Dano

Last edited:
+++

2 interesting pictures of original German (+partial French) WW1 hand grenades:

Attachments

• Ger-.jpg
    Ger-.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Ger+.jpg
    Ger+.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 49
Of 2 1915

Hi,
Other type of "ptard raquette" in 2 models which were french regulation grenade of 1915. See Delhomme book about "Les grenades franaises de la Grande Guerre".
Best regards

Attachments

• OF 2.jpg
    OF 2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 46
  • OF 2 1.jpg
    OF 2 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 42
  • OF 2 2.jpg
    OF 2 2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 38
I like those grenades very much but can anyone tell me how they exactly work?
I was thinking you have to use the nail and put it or stamped in the hole at the front and that will start the time fuze !!!

Regards,

Chris

Paul, Love those improvised german stick grenades. Improvised stuff is of interest to me. I delight in the crudity of materials and construction. Premium-militaria has a german Petard grenade for sale. The Austrian box Petard with barbed wire wrapped around the warhead is awesome. Great stuff.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

Always looking for unusual Japanese Inert Ordnance.

German Petard for sale on this site.
http://www.premium-militaria.de/index.php?cat=c6_Deko--Waffen.html

Last edited: