What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Mills Grenade box

roller63

Premium Member
Here are a couple of pictures of a Mills grenade box from my collection, with a few INERT grenades as well. Not the easiest of things to photograph, the majority of markings being in yellow paint on plain wood. Dated 1944/45 and I beive of Canadian manufacture ? Note the packing label on the inside of the lid and the leather straps holding the base plug removal tool. Tony.

Attachments

• MVC-492S.JPG
    MVC-492S.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,106
  • MVC-491S.JPG
    MVC-491S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,105
  • MVC-495S.JPG
    MVC-495S.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,116
Hi Waff, it would seem to be the case that British boxes are quite scarce, probably because they were re-used over and over again. I should think that a good few meals and brews were made over a fire constructed of wooden ammo boxes ! the later brown metal ones often come up for sale in some unusual places. Just about everyone I know owns one for toolboxes, fishing, diy etc.

During WWII, British ammunition boxes were supposed to be returned to Ordnance units for reuse. Base Ammunition Depots (BADs) had a section specifically to empty them of anything (you would be surprised what was returned in an 'empty' box) and if required, refurbish them for reuse.

Is there any chance of getting some measurements from you, I want to try and manufacture some for display.

I will do my best to get you measurements as soon as I can, in the meantime, I am sure I have seen repro Mills boxes for sale somewhere ? Tony.

Just noticed that Blunderbuss Antiques have a couple of original boxes for sale if anyone is interested.

not the best of images but thought this may interest you

Attachments

• grenades 1945.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    grenades 1945.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,089