What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hearn Base Plug for the No 23 Mk I

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Aplogies in advance for the minutiae.

The Hearn pattern cast iron base plug is normally associated with the Nos 23 Marks II & III. The Patent just predates the No 23 Mk II so the use of the base plug on a Mark I shouldn't be a big surprise but I believe this is the only one I have seen. Anyone interested in these trivia have any comments please?

Attachments

• Baseplug No23MkI.jpg
    Baseplug No23MkI.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 38
This aint trivia Norman but great stuff.
Didnt know it was called a Hearn base plug either so thanks for that.
I have seen a Mk 1 brass plug stamped Mk 11. I actually have a cast iron one so marked but i reccon its been tampered with.

Who did this guy Hearn work for? Vickerys?

Andy

Hearn

Hearn was an engineer and his co-patentee was an ironfounder called Galer. This info is from his Patent, I don't know anything more but it is possible that Galer's firm was involved with one of the Luton grenade manufacturers. Both Hearn and Galer came from Luton.

Very interesting Norman,

were there any other designs for the 23/11 base plug? I assume this type must have been trialled before being accepted? Any info on such trials?

Andy

Hearn

Andy,

There was a minor variation of Hearn's plug which shaped the locking lugs to give surer connection with a grenade tool (probably the subject of a completely new patent!!) but I know of no others.

I think is there is a reference to the plug in TW Committee minutes, I will check.

Hi Norman,

just had a look at the 30 odd 23/11 plugs i have and can see on all of them that the central circular 'boss] is not quite so thick as the one in the picture if you get what i mean.
Is the plug in you picture in your collection? Certainly a very nice one.

Andy

Never seen a cast iron Mk I of that design. Could it as Andy implied been a trials plug and not issued? It predates most of the Mk II's I can think of.

John

Never seen a cast iron Mk I of that design. Could it as Andy implied been a trials plug and not issued? It predates most of the Mk II's I can think of.

John

That is certainly possible John. I cannot find any reference to trialling plugs in MDC or TWCttee minutes.

James Allen Senior had a contract (No 4057) for just 432 grenades in August 1916 but unfortunately the actual delivery date is too early for the plug in question. Nothing else leaps out of the contracts papers.

Hearn Base Plug for No 23 Mk I - answer

Thanks for your patience Andy and John, I have now found the answer. It is a production item. The specification and drawings for the No 23 Mk I were changed on 2nd November 1916 (Enclosure DGMD/G/721) to the new design of base plug. I assume that either not many Mk Is were made after that date or stocks of the usual pattern base plug continued to be used.

I should have started with the specs!

James Allen Senior had a contract (No 4057) for just 432 grenades in August 1916 but unfortunately the actual delivery date is too early for the plug in question. Nothing else leaps out of the contracts papers.[/QUOTE]

Norman,

I believe you're spot on with James Allen Snr after all - contract no. 3881 of 4.12.16 -total order: indefinite, rate: 45-65k per week, first delivery: 18.8.16. This would likely incorporate the more commonly encountered solid brass 23MkI plugs (and brass cup-shaped No.5 plugs) stamped Elmbank.

Tom.

Norman,

I believe you're spot on with James Allen Snr after all - contract no. 3881 of 4.12.16 -total order: indefinite, rate: 45-65k per week, first delivery: 18.8.16. This would likely incorporate the more commonly encountered solid brass 23MkI plugs (and brass cup-shaped No.5 plugs) stamped Elmbank.

Tom.[/QUOTE]

But Tom, the date of this plug is 11/16 indicating it was an earlier contract.

Norman, Does the condition of the plug undicate that it was ever used?

John

Norman,

Tom.[/QUOTE]

But Tom, the date of this plug is 11/16 indicating it was an earlier contract.

Norman, Does the condition of the plug undicate that it was ever used?

John .[/QUOTE]

John, I know you know this but these 'continuous contracts' ran for considerable time. Also sometimes they were signed off later than the commencement of deliveries and the one Tom pointed out was one of these. The JAS plug is good as new. I expect it is one of those short lived components since the No 23 Mk II was hot on its heels.

Muddying the waters a little I'm just bit less confident about JAS being James Allen Senior & Sons (of Elmbank Foundry).

Hi Norman

Yes you are right. I keep coming across contracts that started before they were signed, which is I suppose a symptom of wartime production. Do it now and the paperwork follows. I've corresponded with Tom on this a couple of times now. They always surprise me though. If this plug was related to the 12/16 contract, I suppose the date of the first drawing of the MkII style plug may be the key?

John

Hearn was an engineer and his co-patentee was an ironfounder called Galer. This info is from his Patent, I don't know anything more but it is possible that Galer's firm was involved with one of the Luton grenade manufacturers. Both Hearn and Galer came from Luton.

Update to this thread.

I've done a bit more research into the Hearn base plug and although Thomas Galer was co-patentee, the only references I can find for him are is a director of the Artistic Dyeing Company (Luton) which was a part of the hat making industry. It went bust in 1933. In 1910 he was in business as a Commercial Union Assurance Co Ltd representative in 19 York Street. In 1914 he was in 18 Church Street as Galer, Thomas D. & Co. insurance brokers. So although the patent says 'ironfounder' his previous and later employment may indicate a job for the duration, possibly as a manager or director.

Brown & Green were brass and iron founders but Galer seems to have been linked to other more general industries. He may have been a director of Brown & Green but is unlikely to be an engineer.

John

Last edited:
Another update....

I was unhappy that the patent should show Galer as an Iron founder but nothing else seemed to back it up. He seemed to be a general businessman with a preference for Insurance.

Going back to 1891 he was a clerk and not an apprentice. In 1901 he was a manager. However in 1911 in the census he is listed as an Ironfounder and employer at an Iron works in Luton. Not Brown & Green though.

Job done

Last edited: